GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default High Angle CV Axles

I'm looking for high angle CV axles for a 2002 silverado 1500, i replaced my axles with "re manufactured" ones and they are garbage, they growl when the suspension extends. Exact same set up with my old CV axles and they never growled at all.

Basically, looking for High Angle CV joints.
    www.youtube.com/ippielb
    2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 z71 1985 Chevrolet Silverado k10 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd 6.6l LLY Duramax
    6.5" BDS Suspension Lift Edelbrock Carb & Polished Intake Manifold & Valve Covers NAPC Race Transmission & NAPC Built Transfer Case
    EFI Live Comp Cam and Valvetrain Snow Performance Methanol Injection
    35" Toyo Open Country Mud Terrain on 18" Ion Alloy 179's Headman Long Tube Headers and True Dual Exhaust FASS 150gph Titanium Series Pump
    AirAid Cold Air Intake with K&N Dry Filter & AirAid PowerAid Throttle Body Spacer 2" Suspension Lift 33x12.50r15 Tires EFI Live & AFE Stage 2 Intake
    Pacesetter Long Tube Headers with Cats Gone True Dual Exhaust FlowPro 3.73 Gears Yukon Grizzly Locker with Mag-Hytec Cover & Traction Bars
    NGK Iridium Tips & MSD Ignition Plug Wires Baja Spare Tire Holder 33x13.5 Hankook rt03 18" XD Rims
    Innovate LC-1 Wideband o2 Sensor x2 HID's all around LED taillights and 3rd brake light
    BDS Dual Steering Stabilizers Pioneer Double-DIN Touchscreen Navigation with Two 10" Subs under rear seat
    Electric Fan Autometer Pressure, Boost, and Pyro Gauges
    4.56 Gears Airlift Air Bag Suspension

Legend

why not just do an IFS swap, you have alot of lift on there, i would think you would be going through alot of CV axles.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

I went poking around to see what 9" of lift with 35's on it looked like. Got pics?

Rough Country used to make High Angle CV's, but from what I'm hearing they stopped production.
    Surprisingly there arent any manufacturers out there making the parts, I suspect the issue is after you go to a set of strengthened High Angle CV's the next part you'll break in the driveline will be the Diff, and thats more expensive and and harder to change. Think of the CV's as a fusible link.
    When I off road my Tacoma I carry an extra CV in a PVC tube just in case, I've only had to do field swaps a few times, it takes about 15 minutes and is a lot easier than trying to figure out how I'm gonna get home.

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    why not just do an IFS swap, you have alot of lift on there, i would think you would be going through alot of CV axles.
    Truck is a IFS, thats the axles i'm looking for, or were you saying solid axle swap?
    Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I went poking around to see what 9" of lift with 35's on it looked like. Got pics?

Don't know good this picture is going to be, but you can see it from distance, two sleds on my sled deck with air bags, 1,400km trip one day, 3 sleds. used a few tanks of gas lol
    Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    Rough Country used to make High Angle CV's, but from what I'm hearing they stopped production.
    Surprisingly there arent any manufacturers out there making the parts, I suspect the issue is after you go to a set of strengthened High Angle CV's the next part you'll break in the driveline will be the Diff, and thats more expensive and and harder to change. Think of the CV's as a fusible link.
    When I off road my Tacoma I carry an extra CV in a PVC tube just in case, I've only had to do field swaps a few times, it takes about 15 minutes and is a lot easier than trying to figure out how I'm gonna get home.
    Yes, thats what i was after, the thing people dont understand is, my truck is a pavement princess now. It won't be getting abused at all anymore. Barely even driven, and if i could put it better terms, when i drive down the highway, and the truck goes over a little smooth bump and the suspension pushes up, and then goes down immediately after, but the truck is still higher, the CV axles growl... This is not from off roading, and flexing, this is just from daily driving, and commuting. The "re manufactured" axles, have less of an angle then the stock axles do. All i did was swap the axles out and now it growls. Oh and by the way, this is when i'm driving in 2wd down the highway. I'm not concerned about 4x4'ing anymore, i have an 85 silverado for that.
    Last edited by ippielb; 01-18-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Yea the axles are running past the maximum design parameters. I want to say factory is something like 22deg dont remember anymore.
    Your reman axles sound like they have less angle available.
    Being its a street queen I have seen guys use a die grinder and dremel tool to clearance out the area around the joints, but I'd caution this can make the casting weaker. You may be able to polish the area up and get rid of your growling noise. Problem is you gotta peel the boots back to get at the area and then they dont want to stay on correctly after that, which brings up another subject I'm sure sooner or later you'll have boot tearing issues.
    I looked around for extensions but couldnt find any, I know there were a few shops putting 16th" extensions on and alleviating some of these problems.
    But all in all there isnt any decent solution to the problem short of SAS or lowering.
    Most guys I know live with the problem and learn how to change out CV axles real fast.

Legend

there was supposed to be a "/solid axle" behind the IFS and before swap, Just take the CVs out completely since you wont use it as 4x4 more, or sell off the lift and buy a smaller lift.