GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rear and Front Dif.

Alright, so i experienced this for the first time a week ago. I was going up a ramp ( that kind that goes in circles) and i started hearing this horrible clunkcing noise in my dif. my left tire was skidding. So i stopped and put in 4 wheel. It did the same thing. when i finally got on a straight away, it stopped.

Does this mean i got a bad dif. ( i'm going to school for mechanics so i understand how it works) i've never really experienced this before. I've heard th g80 is a good dif, but would it be beneificial to swap out my stock dif.
    2002 Gmc sierra
    5.3 v8 1500
    k&n air intake
    20inch liquidmetal dyno 6's
    xlerator dual exhaust.

I would check to make sure the fluid level is correct. Than I would pull the diff cover to check the gears.

The G80 is by no means a good diff. It has many small, fragile parts inside, and has been known to fail with even normal street driving. It can behave like you are describing when it does.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

I changed out the fluids last year and I did top it off. This only happens when one tire is on slippery and one isn't and then when it does get traction i still get clunking noise, and then goes away. Is there any better diff i could install that would allow power through it and is more sturdier.
    2002 Gmc sierra
    5.3 v8 1500
    k&n air intake
    xlerator dual exhaust.

Jr. Mechanic

When was the last time you changed the rear differential fluid?

Almost a year ago. I might change it again this spring, and take a look at the dif. but, i kinda want a new diff though. ones that are indestructable and actually work.
    2002 Gmc sierra
    5.3 v8 1500
    k&n air intake
    xlerator dual exhaust.

If you want a limited slip a real good one is the Detroit Trutrac. Its uses gears instead of clutches so it'll last the life of the truck. If you're looking at a locker avoid the automatic ones such as the Detroit Locker. They can cause handling porblems on slick roads. I'd recommend a selectable one such as the Eaton Elocker or the Auburn ECTED. The Elocker functions as a open diff when off and locks when activated. The ECTED is a limited slip when off and locks when activated.

78 GMC High Sierra K1500

I wish OX made lockers for these axles.

Thank boonduff for the options. I'm also looking for one that works great with the snow.

I alos noticed my front dif acts funny in 4 wheel drive. My turning radias is cut in like 1/3.. If i go to far, it'll lock up untill i go into 2x4, then it unlocks and good to go..
    2002 Gmc sierra
    5.3 v8 1500
    k&n air intake
    xlerator dual exhaust.

Are you running it in 4wd on dry pavement? It'll cause binding like you described, unless your truck has the Auto-Trac transfer case, then you can drive it on any surface when in Auto mode. The other positions, 4hi and 4low should only be used on loose or slick surfaces like dirt, gravel, snow, and ice. The binding on surfaces that don't allow slip can result in broken u-joints and a damaged transfer case.

78 GMC High Sierra K1500

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast