GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Clunking while turning/accelerating in 4wd

Hello everyone, hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I am having with my truck. It is a 2003 2500hd 6.0l which I picked up a couple of months ago. Now that the snow is finally here, I have been using my 4wd but have been having some weird issues. When I accelerate in any sort of quick fashion (not necessarily hard), or when I am turning, I get a loud and violent clunking noise and feel from my front end. This doesnt happen all the time, nor does it happen in 2wd. Sometimes it clunks on the passenger side, other times I can feel it under my feet on the drivers side. The previous owner said he had to have the transfer case rebuilt last winter because it went out on him, I am hoping my transfer case isnt shot. I have been told that it could be the u-joints? Others have said that its just the gears locking/unlocking?

I am a newbie to the 4x4 world as I have only owned cars up until this truck. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

Master Mechanic

I think it sounds like normal 4WD characteristics. Remember with 4WD your front wheels are trying to pull you one way and the rear tires trying to push you another way. I know in the winter when I try to turn up the driveway of my house, the front end will pop like crazy but its normal.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

Thanks for the reply, if thats normal then I will ignore it

if its happening in 4wd and on dry pavement the front could be binding (when turning) and that is normal, but you shouldnt be in 4wd at that point as its not great for the front end. if it is happening in a straight line could be something else
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

I would say its normal, but this is also a u-joint possibility, if you are mechanically inclined u joints are easy to do and pretty cheap. It could be just as easy as lay off the gas while in 4wd, ease in ease out while in 4wd. Not calling you an idiot it just comes with the nature of being a first time truck owner especially a 4wd drive first timer.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jr. Mechanic

If it clunks under hard acceleration in four wheel drive going straight ahead it could be a stretched transfer case chain.