GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1993 K1500, Manual 4x4 lever and it wont enguage in 4x4 when i pull the lever.

Front driveshaft enguages in differencial but will not spin the front tires. Acts like its in 4x4 meaning in 4L i can only go 10MPH, and 4H i can feel it enguaged, but the front wheels wont spin with the back.

Checked the fluid in the front diff, gears, ujoints, tcase fluid and gears, and checked the CV's on front, and TCase linkage.

I was told it may be some "plunger" on the front "axle"

makes driving in winter a pain any help would be appreciated.

There is a actuator on the front diff. It's on the front passenger side of the case. Unplug the wiring and check if its getting voltage when transfercase in in 4wd and engine is running. If you do its the actuator, if not its in the wiring or a fuse.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

okay, is the actuator on the diff-case, or on the small "axle" on the passenger side?
    and to test it just unplug it and test for continuity at the plug with the engine running and in 4X4, or can it be done with just the battery on?

shift it into 4x4 and make sure the front wheels on the little picture of the truck by the shifter are lit up, then leave the key on and go test it. you will see the wires going into the front axle, i forget exactly where the actuator is, i think its on the little axle on the passenger's side, but don't quote me. but i swear, you wont miss it lol

Quote Originally Posted by cooter71 View Post
    shift it into 4x4 and make sure the front wheels on the little picture of the truck by the shifter are lit up, then leave the key on and go test it. you will see the wires going into the front axle, i forget exactly where the actuator is, i think its on the little axle on the passenger's side, but don't quote me. but i swear, you wont miss it lol
    in theory if the actuator is not working the indicator should not light up as the solenoid trips the light switch, i guess its possible that the actuator may move enough to turn on the light but not have enough power to shift all the way to lock in the diff
    my 88 sas "mudwasp"
    88 chevy k2500, started as reg cab lb, now reg cab shortbox, sas 17'' of lift, 52'' front springs f.i. bbc , 79 dana hp 60 chevy outers, 14bolt ff spooled divorced 205 and cut 40'' gumbos
    1998 k3500 gmc crew cab dually L65 6.5TD 4l80e with a couple of mods

bouncing truck avatar creator

The light wont come on for it which makes me think the actuator is fully bad, not just partially.

Is there any way to bypass that actuator? Or is it absolutely needed for the system to work?

05 Silverado 1500 LS 5.3L.
    6" fabtech lift, 35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers, 20x10 XD Monster wheels. MagnaFlow dual exhaust, AEM cold air intake, custom tune.
    35W 5K HID low,fog, 55W highs, Hi-6 Mod, black tail lights.
    Color matched front and rear bumper caps, fully debadged.
    5% tint all around, 35% full windshield with 10" 5% brow.
    7" pioneer touchscreen Double Din, 2 Rockford R1-12's under the seat with Rockford P300-1amp, Rockford prime speakers all around, LED interior Lights.

you need either a actuator or there is a mechanical system called a posi-lok that changes to a cable activation from the cab, those are pretty much your two options
    my 88 sas "mudwasp"
    88 chevy k2500, started as reg cab lb, now reg cab shortbox, sas 17'' of lift, 52'' front springs f.i. bbc , 79 dana hp 60 chevy outers, 14bolt ff spooled divorced 205 and cut 40'' gumbos

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by outalne94z71 View Post
    you need either a actuator or there is a mechanical system called a posi-lok that changes to a cable activation from the cab, those are pretty much your two options
    If I remember right, you can also switch to a manual hub for a TON of money. I used a posi-lok in my old Dodge and I would recommend it to anybody. Easy to install and works great. Should only be a little over $200 if I remember right, which is about a quarter of what a manual hub kit costs for that year of truck.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
    If I remember right, you can also switch to a manual hub for a TON of money. I used a posi-lok in my old Dodge and I would recommend it to anybody. Easy to install and works great. Should only be a little over $200 if I remember right, which is about a quarter of what a manual hub kit costs for that year of truck.
    manual hub kits are for trucks that are solid axle, no such thing for a ifs chevy, the hub does nothing, its is like a front wheel drive car hub, the diff lock is in the differential axle tube and a plunger locks it in.
    Last edited by outalne94z71; 01-22-2012 at 10:35 AM.
    my 88 sas "mudwasp"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by outalne94z71 View Post
    manual hub kits are for trucks that are solid axle, no such thing for a ifs chevy, the hub does nothing, its is like a front wheel drive car hub, the diff lock is in the differential axle tube and a plunger locks it in.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast