GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Bowties!

Did you have to remove the grill to change the bowtie? I wanted to just paint it but mine has a chip in it so I want to just replace it with the same one you did.

Luke
    '02 Chevrolet 2500hd
    6.6 Duramax LB7
    3.5" Straight Pipe
    4" MBRP Black Exhaust Tip
    Tow Mirrors
    TSC Black Low Profile Tool Box
    Maverick Brush Guard

Quote Originally Posted by sstoner911 View Post
    Those would look sweet done in carbon fiber.
    Yes they would! DW (dear Wife) got these for me so I'm Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockstarrchevy81 View Post
    The best bet is too use a heat gun that way in any weather the adhesive will stick with no problem. I ordered me a set of blackbowties for the grille and the tailgate and looks really good. I now have a 1 piece black mesh rbp lookalike grille and only have the bowtie on the rear now. They make the truck look 10x better.
    Yes and I have a heat gun... I just hate workin in the cold. It will be warmer here soon so I can wait! I Hope!

Quote Originally Posted by GMCErica View Post
    Hey,
    I know that is it cold in Ontario now.. 0'C or freezing, is going to affect the adhesive glue no question, especially with the snow and humidity and freezing temps, wait another few weeks and let it warm up to like 5'C and then you won't worry about the sticking...

Keep me posted... Were going for TIM's when I come back home in March..
    Sure sign me up for Tims anytime! Coach isn't coming right? OR is there a response here for things you don't say to your spouse...
    Hey Erica is coming for coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by LB'07-Z View Post
    Did you have to remove the grill to change the bowtie? I wanted to just paint it but mine has a chip in it so I want to just replace it with the same one you did.
    Nope no need to try and convince anyone that you will need a new grill. At the most there is a plastic piece on top of the rad with about a dozen clips (push pin type) that a flat head screw driver will make short work of. I ran out and took some pictures. I will post these very shortly once i get them off my blacberry...
    Last edited by jake's silverado; 01-23-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

Quote Originally Posted by LB'07-Z View Post
    Here are 3 pics that may be of use! Picture 1 shows the top of the Rad. You can see the opening and if you have small enough arms you can probably reach through he opening to get this done but i recommend removing the dozen or so pin and clip things as this adds about 5 minutes to the whole time. The last 2 pics are of the back of the OE bowtie. there are 2 locator pins and 3 clips. The clips are released by pushing the center part to release the clip. I had a wooden wedge of the bowtie to keep pressure so the clip wouldn't snap back in. I used a smaller slot screwdriver to release the bowtie from the grille. The billet bowties that someone asked if they were "defective" are attached by two very small pieces of threaded rod turned into the back/ insert them through the grille apply 2 oversize washers and the 3/8 nuts tightened. Re install the plastic rad cover and you are done. Less than 20 minutes. Now that I think about it I may take it all apart Saturday and apply some thread locker to it! Just so it doesn't vibrate loose!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails access to grill back.jpg   bowtie clip.jpg   bowtie back.jpg  

Thanks man that helps alot I thought the OE bowtie was attached the same as the black ones do with a nut on the backside until I got to messing around with it I hope to be making this mod soon and this definately helps. Truck looks great by the way.

Master Mechanic

for the tailgate make sure you clean the area w/ rubbing alcohol, then you can heat up the area w/ a blow drier if nervous. but I would wait until it is at least 10 degrees c.

Front one looks good I got mine w/ out the border so it's nice to see what it looks like w/out the border.

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

@jake's silverado "I just hate workin in the cold." oh c'mon it will only take 10 minutes or less...LOL

Jr. Engineer
    Live in Mississippi...But I claim Texas!!

yeah...I'm partial to the black bowties. Good call!!

2011 Silverado "Black Widow Edition"

7" Lift
    35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ's
    20" American Racing Rims With -24 offset
    Recon Smoked Led Tail and 3rd Brake Lights

MCX Conversion Package.....
    Custom Dual Exhaust
    Custom Leather
    Custom Chrome Gauges With Red Back-Lighting
    Black Widow Badges
    Back-up Camera System
    Programmer