GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Muffler

Hybrid View

Default Muffler

Ok so Tuesday, I backed into my brother's driveway to pick up my brother's boat to go fishing. He lives in a subdivision like and the houses are less than 4 feet apart. I picked it up and drove off and later that day I came back and his neighbors were outside so I asked them and their 2 little girls who are autistic if I woke them up and they said yes.

Right now I have dual Dynomax Turbos with gutted cats (hate the gutted cats) and I'm looking into getting something a little bit quieter like Flowmaster 50 or 70 series which I've heard isn't loud on the outside and inside isn't bad. But my quest is the cats what should I get? I've heard Summit has some good ones or I can go to the junkyard and get some.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

How about some information? Do you have true duals or cat back? I guess if you have gutted cat(S) it's true duals. Do you have an "H" pipe? That might kill a lot of obnoxious noise, ask a muffler technician.

Something like a factory cat is all you need, I'd shop prices. I'm not sure on Louisianna law but in many states your not allowed to purchase a used cat convertor from a wrecking yard, they have to remove and scrap convertors.

Legend

i have heard good things about the magnaflow cats for performance and they are pretty reasonable in price(especially on ebay) the 50 and 70 series will give you almost no sound difference over the stock muffler that wa originally on the truck. just go to youtube for exhaust tones. flowmaster 50 on 5.3 or flowmaster 70 on 5.3 etc.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

http://www.dbexhaust.com

..............check it out. Owned and technology by CORSA.

2011 1500 Silverado LT, 4x4/Z71
    K&N, Chrome Nerfs, Run Lucas Oil fuel treatment,
    DB-CORSA cat-back system (received). :great:

The morons who put on the glasspacks before I got it gutted the cats by cutting a 3x2 rectangle in the bottom and then just arc welded the cut out piece back on. They cut off the stock flange and made true duals. So I bought 2 Thrush Turbos and had them mounted under the bed where the stock one fits and tips out the back corners.

I'm thinking about new headers and dual Magnaflow cats joinging into a 3 inch single and running to a Flowmaster 50 or 70 with duals pointing down to the deck. My "real dad" has a hydro pipe bender in his shop so.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment

Legend

Blog Entries

I know that most Cats are fairly expensive because they contain precious metals such as platinum or rhodium. You will probably have to shop around to find your best pricebut i would start with the salvage yards first. Good luck!!!

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Thanks redz71max. Only thing is 70 series doesn't have dual out. Not sure about the 50 series but.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Hm 50 series has dual in dual out

Current:
    Future:

Alright.......................................I received my DB-exhaust (CORSA) system yesterday via Fedex. It was well packaged, ships directly from factory.

Interesting that the in-house label says "CORSA-Sport" which is the $1000 system directly from CORSA, but my receipt and the exhaust tip say "DB". Hey, I'm not complaining. If it is the same system aside from the tip.......AWESOME! My Uncle is going to help me take off the factory system, do a bit of spray on undercoating and then install the new system hopefully this week. He has a nice man-cave/shop.

I will keep the factory system in garage rafters for whenever I sell, the buyer can have choice of "DB" or factory quiet.

2011 1500 Silverado LT, 4x4/Z71
    K&N, Chrome Nerfs, Run Lucas Oil fuel treatment,
    DB-CORSA cat-back system (received). :great: