GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Vibration in the seat at approximately 45 MPH

Hello all,

I have a 2003, 2500HD Silverado with the 6.6 Duramax/Alison combo. I just bought it last month. The vehicle only has 86,000 miles on it, and was meticulously maintained by the previous owner. I just put new tires on last week. I changed from 245/75R16 to 265/75R16.

Now I am having a vibration which feels like it is coming from the rear. I only feel it in the seat, not the steering wheel. It only happens between 45 and 55 mph, both while accelerating and coasting. I don't notice it at any other speeds.

I have taken it back to the tire shop twice, and they are great about it. They re-balanced the tires both times. The second time, they spun the tires on the rims, then re-balanced. I still have the vibration and the tire shop told me to keep bringing it back and they will keep checking the balance. I am starting to worry that the new tires brought to light a problem which had been "worn into" and masked by the old tires.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
    "To all those, who in the terrible heat of battle, pressed forward into eternity. To you who have purchased for us this rich heritage. Forever will your victories echo in the laughter of our children on every playground of this great nation."

Well here is some suggestions. Put the back tires on the front and vice-versa. If the vibration comes from the steering wheel it's a tire balance problem. If you are using after market "custom" wheels, sometimes you have to take the little thin safety locks off the rear studs and leave them off. Check the tires see if one might be out of round excessively. Re-check the balance, there may be water inside of a tire from an airhose getting condensation in it. It could be a bad shock absorber but the odds are pretty low on that. One of my tires had an 8 inch long bolt in it FROM THE FACTORY. The people I paid to remove the sensors and re-balance them gave it to me. If the driveshaft flies out from under the truck, you had a bad U-joint. On most Chev trucks if they have a one piece driveshaft it hangs down when the truck is on a lift so don't use long lift arms or a fork lift to lift it or you will bend the diveshaft.

You didnt say whether the tires were found to be out of balance each time. If so ask for a new tire as the chords may be flawed. At only those speeds it has to be either a tire or if it has drum brakes, see if the weights on the drum have been taken off or fallen off. A bearing would be constant as would the ujoints and shocks. Look at the out side of the tire for any bubbles or dis configurations on the side walls also you may want to check for evenness of the tread.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Each time they re-balanced the tires, they found they were only out by a 1/4 ounce or less. They felt for tires that size on a large truck, it shouldn't be affecting my ride. They are still great about not giving me grief for still not being happy. The last time I took it back (when they spun them on the rims and re-balanced), they switched the rear tires to the front. Now the vibration is so slight that I have a hard time telling if I'm feeling a vibration from the truck or the road, let alone front or rear... It's just enough to bother me though. The truck still has the stock rims, the only change I made was to go slightly larger in size. As far as i can see, there are no defects in the tires. I have to admit, it's not my every day driver, and I've been working a lot lately. I live in a rural farm area, so when I do drive it, finding a smooth road is a challenge... Thanks for the tips, I'll let ya'll know if it continues to be a problem.
    "To all those, who in the terrible heat of battle, pressed forward into eternity. To you who have purchased for us this rich heritage. Forever will your victories echo in the laughter of our children on every playground of this great nation."

1/4 of an ounce is quite a bit between each balance. thats a half an ounce on that rear axle.If they keep coming a quarter out have them break the tire down and spin it on the wheel 160 degrees , reseat then rebalance and see if that gets you a better ride
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"