GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 4.3L swap to a 5.7L

I have a '93 4.3L TBI engine with a manual 5 speed tranny.
    Found a 5.7L thats carburated that i wanna swap over.
    So do i just need to get an intake manifold, TBI, air filter housing, fan shroud, and radiator off another 350. Or is there more ill need to swap around?

05 Silverado 1500 LS 5.3L.
    6" fabtech lift, 35x12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers, 20x10 XD Monster wheels. MagnaFlow dual exhaust, AEM cold air intake, custom tune.
    35W 5K HID low,fog, 55W highs, Hi-6 Mod, black tail lights.
    Color matched front and rear bumper caps, fully debadged.
    5% tint all around, 35% full windshield with 10" 5% brow.
    7" pioneer touchscreen Double Din, 2 Rockford R1-12's under the seat with Rockford P300-1amp, Rockford prime speakers all around, LED interior Lights.

i believe that you'll need the entire TBI unit including the computer/wire harness, but i'm not sure. you definitely need the fan shroud and radiator, but seriously, if you have any problem going to a junkyard and finding one of these trucks with a 350 i don't know where you're lookin

yeah, thats what i was thinking is the whole tbi unit with harness, which i can pull off a junkyard engine for fairly cheap prolly. I just wanted to know if theres anything else ill need, and any major things that will get in the way of doing it. Ive pulled some engines in my day but havent done this big of a difference with a swap, v6-v8

you will need a harness from a 92 or 93, 88-91 is one type harness and ecm and 92/93 is different and 94 is a change again, it was small changes but can mess you up, be best to just get a 93 harness so it would be plug and play, should not matter what trans the harness is for since you are using the manual trans right?
    you need a v8 gauge cluster too for the tach to operate properly as well.

i would have to see your v6 harness but you may be lucky and may be able to just drop the 350 in it and change the cal pack/eprom to a v8 one
    Last edited by outalne94z71; 01-24-2012 at 04:54 PM.
    my 88 sas "mudwasp"
    88 chevy k2500, started as reg cab lb, now reg cab shortbox, sas 17'' of lift, 52'' front springs f.i. bbc , 79 dana hp 60 chevy outers, 14bolt ff spooled divorced 205 and cut 40'' gumbos
    1998 k3500 gmc crew cab dually L65 6.5TD 4l80e with a couple of mods

bouncing truck avatar creator

so ill have to get a 93 harness from a junkward, probably the same engine i get the TB and intake manifold and what not from then to be safe since my trucks a 93, the engine is like an 89 or something i think so will that be fine with a 93 harness?
    and yeah im using the manual tranny still. And ill need a guage cluster from a 93 5.7 also?

what do you mean the cal pack/Eprom to a v8 one?

the calpac/eprom is what the ecm chip is called, the earlier ones were call calpac and then later they got the name eprom and then in 96 when they went obdII the chip is not changeable but you can reprogram the whole ecm.

the 89 as a longblock will work you just need the 93 sensors and egr solenoid , if i remember right the 93-95 sensors and egr were the same and the earlier motors had the round egr solenoid and the tps had a different plug and i think the iac wiring was a little different on earlier ones, been a long time since i had to think about it, basically if you get the tbi stuff and sensors with that 93 5.7 wiring and ecm it should be all plug and play, your fuel system to that tbi is all the same so no problem with that. what is your plan for exhaust?

be sure when you swap the radiator that the side cutouts are open in the radiator support so the air flow can get to the whole radiator, there is a recess whey they are cut out depending on what motor/raditor they were meant for , like diesels and 454 got the whole thing opened up.
    Last edited by outalne94z71; 01-24-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Okay, that all helps out a whole lot. Thanks.
    And I already have dual pipes out of the cat, and the headers should match up to my down pipes coming into the cat so I might just leave it how it is. It should all match up right, and the headers are 2,1/2 inch just like my 4.3L ones right?

Jr. Apprentice

just change the injector to 350 injectors. should be 61lbs/hr or close to.

Quote Originally Posted by timhall1787 View Post
    just change the injector to 350 injectors. should be 61lbs/hr or close to.
    what????

changing injectors does nothing productive for swapping from a v6 to v8, and the tbi bores are bigger on the 5.7 vs the v6 as well so just slapping injectors in a v6 tbi is the wrong thing to do as well.

Jr. Apprentice

your right. i was thinking it said 5.0 to 5.7. i am doing a 305 to 350 so i was looking for some extra info and misread.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by