GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Scary steering problem

I have a 99 1500 Suburban, I was going around a curve yesterday and the resistance in the steering suddenly went away and it was very easy to turn (if that makes sense). It would be very easy to oversteer and go into the opposite lane. It did this once about 6 months ago but I thought it was just me. I was steering left to go around the curve at about 45 mph. This makes me very nervous to drive it until I get this fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by f.p. View Post
    I have a 99 1500 Suburban, I was going around a curve yesterday and the resistance in the steering suddenly went away and it was very easy to turn (if that makes sense). It would be very easy to oversteer and go into the opposite lane. It did this once about 6 months ago but I thought it was just me. I was steering left to go around the curve at about 45 mph. This makes me very nervous to drive it until I get this fixed.
    I can almost bet on the variable ratio steering is acting up, could be be the electrical connections or deeper.

Phil
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

Its more than likely steering box on drive side frame rail (at end off steering shaft under hood) I had to have that done on my 99 Savanna.
    Its very similiar to yours.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

Yes that can be scary to drive that way. Take it to a mechanic and have it diagnosed and repaired.

Here is an informational post from: edmunds.com

The steering-position sensor is used to tell the computer the position of the steering wheel and how fast the driver is turning the wheel. Based on that information and also on vehicle speed, it will vary the steering effort by controlling the bypass orifice to relieve powersteering-pump pressure. There are two likely conditions that will cause the system to malfunction - a lifted suspension or oversized tires with extreme rim offsets. Both of these will change the force to the steering gear and cause a hydraulic oscillation. In layman's terms, the steering wheel will shake.

The easiest way to diagnose the problem is to apply the brakes on dry pavement and turn the wheel lock to lock (while the vehicle is stationary). If it takes some strong-arm work to move the steering wheel, then the pump pressure is not high enough. Correct that first and then look at some type of tuned hose that acts as an accumulator to dampen the hydraulic oscillation. A spiral-wound spring inside the pressure hose will help dampen the fluctuation of pressure. You should be able to find a local custom-hose builder to do it. You could also temporarily install stock-type and stock-size tires up front and drive the truck to see if the problem goes away, which would further help you isolate the source of your shaking. - K.F."

You might, just as an experiment as suggested in the above, disconnect the electrical connector at the actuator (rear of the pump) to see if that eliminates the problem . If it does, you won't know if it's the actuator or the EVO sensor, but at least it puts you in the ballpark. Let us know how it turns out.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by f.p. View Post
    The variable steering is an electro magnet a fair, most of the time it will do what you are talking about more frequently in one direction or another. Mine was doing it in lefts, my shop guy cleaned the connections as the problem only arose in wet conditions. If you had a steering box problem as mentioned above the steering would be sloppy in both direction and constant, yours problem is intermittent so it is not mechanical.

Phil

I was told by my mechanic that the steering sensor was bad and not necessary, and was unplugged. It steers a little different and I hope it's okay until I can get it fixed later. I do not feel that it is unsafe unless somone advises otherwise??

I suppose it depends on how different it feels. But honestly, I wouldn't change anything with the way it should steer from the factory - unless you are specifically upgrading it. I'd just have them fix it right away.

2009 GMC Sierra Denali AWD