GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My break in period per Yukon was the first 100 miles dont drive more than 20 miles at a time without letting the gears cool for 15-20 minutes. Then put another 400 miles on the gears with no more than 1/2 throttle and do a diff flush. And after that when pulling a trailer for the first time drive 12 miles and let the gears cool for 20-30 minutes. This took a lot of discipline for me to do, but now it is all broke in they are a blast!

________2013 4C Rated__________

Yea it does take discipline I really want to see what my truck can do now, but I got to hold out for a few hundred more miles, the first 15 miles I went under 50 mph and I fekt the rear diff, it was just warm I could hold my hand up on it, it wasn't no where near being "hot", so after the cool down I drove like 20 miles at around 55-60 and then it was much warmer to where it felt these things were actually doing a heat cycle. So I did that about 4 times.So after the first 100 miles, will I able to drive it normal now without having to stop for cool down periods? I know I can rly floor it yet. I don't plan on pulling a trailer anytime soon, it would be well over the 500 mile mark ( I dnt do much towing anyway)

2006 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
    3" Body and 2" Level Kit by Performance Accessories
    FlowMasters American Thunder Dual Exhaust
    Cobra CB radio with a PA speaker
    Westin Brush Guard with 2 KC offroad lights
    Spectre Performance Cold Air Intake with a Airaid TBS
    35/12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T on 17x9 Ballistic Wizard Rims
    Tractor Supply Black Diamond Low Profile Toolbox, with 8' Whip antenna
    Big "Redneck" sticker and aftermarket confederate Z71 Sticker

yeah, after your first 100 miles you should be fine with not letting is cool down. Just nornal driving, but just not real hard on it until after you flush it out.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Legend

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    My break in period per Yukon was the first 100 miles dont drive more than 20 miles at a time without letting the gears cool for 15-20 minutes. Then put another 400 miles on the gears with no more than 1/2 throttle and do a diff flush. And after that when pulling a trailer for the first time drive 12 miles and let the gears cool for 20-30 minutes. This took a lot of discipline for me to do, but now it is all broke in they are a blast!
    Ha, that makes me laugh...I forgot how challenging it was to resist "pushing" my truck and altering my driving habits during this period. Very tough.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

glad you like the new gears and that is a nice city increase in MPG. the break in period definately takes some patience and discipline as everyone has said but definately worth it.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

When I had my 4.11s put in the shop advised a 500 mile break in....I put about 100 miles on her and then drove the truck to L.A...it made my mechanic cringe but it all went well. I went with AAM gears and so far they are still going strong.

I did a slight increase in town...highway..forget it...it didnt change. I tend to drive 80-85 also so I am sure that doesnt help.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Yea I was quite suprised to see about a 3mpg improvement in city, that'll add up quickly to money saved in gas. haven't sat in stop n go traffic yet but hopefully ill still have a good improvement. Wish I could of done it sooner,

2006 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab
    3" Body and 2" Level Kit by Performance Accessories
    FlowMasters American Thunder Dual Exhaust
    Cobra CB radio with a PA speaker
    Westin Brush Guard with 2 KC offroad lights
    Spectre Performance Cold Air Intake with a Airaid TBS
    35/12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers M/T on 17x9 Ballistic Wizard Rims
    Tractor Supply Black Diamond Low Profile Toolbox, with 8' Whip antenna
    Big "Redneck" sticker and aftermarket confederate Z71 Sticker

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123