GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Pulsing lights?

Default Pulsing lights?

I posted this about a year ago, but got no concrete answers, hoping someone else has run across this since.
    All my lights, dash, headlights everything pulse. It used to come and go but getting worse now. I have had it in the shop numerous times and different shops, but no one has been able to find the problem. Everything seems to think its a ground problem but they have checked every ground they can find and no luck. Battery has been changed twice, alternator checked numerous times and it puts out steady voltage.
    Pickup is a 2005 GMC Sierra Denali with 99,800 miles. It has NO aftermarket products at all, nothing has been added anywhere on the truck. Any ideas?

Hmm, I was gonna say check your alternator, then saw you've done that. Have you changed your spark plugs yet?

2003 GMC Sierra 5.3L 4WD SLT Z71

6" Lift ♦ 35" Toyo MTs ♦ Moto Metal Wheels ♦ LineX Spray In ♦ Flowmaster 40 Duals ♦ K&N FIPK ♦ WeatherTech Floor Mats ♦ Dual HU ♦ 102" Whip Antenna ♦ Cobra 29 CB ♦ DrawTite Activator II ♦ Dark Tint ♦ Daystar Keys ♦ AALs ♦ UWS box

1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ on 38s -Sold

Soon to come

Pacesetter LT headers
    4:56 gears
    Blackbear tune

No, I have not changed the spark plugs yet.

Still sounds like the voltage regulator w/in the alternator is acting up. That is the only real source of "consistant" pulsing.
    The electrical design internal to the alternator is pretty basic. (basic to me as I'm an electrician......)
    When the stator is turning with an active "field", the windings create a 3 phase Alternating Current(AC) voltage(hence the name alternator). There is then a 6 diode assy that converts this 3 phase voltage to a single phase Direct Current(DC) voltage.
    The voltage regulator is internal to the alternator, and controls the level of the "field" so that the final output is in the 13-14 volt range.
    If you are getting conistant pulsing, either the regulator is acting up, or one of the diodes is going bad.
    Have you actually replaced the alternator, or just had it checked.

i was thinking alternator too as my 98 does the same thing but mine only does it when its cold, you get about a mile down the road and it stops doing it
    my 88 sas "mudwasp"
    88 chevy k2500, started as reg cab lb, now reg cab shortbox, sas 17'' of lift, 52'' front springs f.i. bbc , 79 dana hp 60 chevy outers, 14bolt ff spooled divorced 205 and cut 40'' gumbos
    1998 k3500 gmc crew cab dually L65 6.5TD 4l80e with a couple of mods

bouncing truck avatar creator

No I have not replaced the alternator, I did not want to throw 250.00 at it without knowing for sure that is the problem. Two shops have checked it and they say it is putting out steady voltage and did not think it was that. May just have to bite the bullet and change it, after all it does have nearly 100K on it.

maybe if there is another member near by with the same alternator you could swap it to make sure that is the issue first??

Is this pulsing all the time, or only under certain conditions like light charging loads?
    My guess is that at the parts store testing stations they might only be testing for full load voltage and amperage output, not light load conditions.
    I don't think there are many running conditions where the alt actually puts out anywhere near full output load capacity.
    I think the average size is 100-130 amps output. Some are higher but not all. That's a lot of current.

What happens when the pulsing is happening and you then turn on any/all of your electrical systems. Lights on high, ac on high, wipers on high, anything else you may have.

You may try and alt from a salv yard? If they offer replacement guarantee, some do, might be a less $ option.
    Last edited by Scott_Anderson; 01-28-2012 at 09:22 PM.

I had the truck in two different shops, both checked the alternator and said it was putting out the correct voltage. It kept getting worse and would never stop anymore, pulsating all the time. I finally called James Woods in Decatur, TX who is a very large GMC dealer. Service rep said change the alternator. So I put on a new alternator and that did fix the problem. Just wanted to let you all know in case someone else runs into this.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdraft View Post
    I had the truck in two different shops, both checked the alternator and said it was putting out the correct voltage. It kept getting worse and would never stop anymore, pulsating all the time. I finally called James Woods in Decatur, TX who is a very large GMC dealer. Service rep said change the alternator. So I put on a new alternator and that did fix the problem. Just wanted to let you all know in case someone else runs into this.
    James Woods?! The actor?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jwfg.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	34509

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by