GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help me identify this blown gasket?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0144.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	34015Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	34016Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	34017Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	34018
    I have a 4.3 silverado, 2003 and i found this leakage the other day while i was cleaning out my air filter. It is underneath the throttle body. It is in the center of the pictures, were oil and bit of coolant is oozing out.Can you guys help me what part it belongs to? i have a very bare knowledge base of mechanics, just started out. any help would be appreciated.
    dont want to take it in to the shop, ive had bad experiences with other people 'fixing' my truck.
    thanks

Legend
    Blog Entries

Yes that is a blown lower intake gasket. when you do it you will want to drain and flush the coolant and change it to the green coolant.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

thanks!

whats the reason behind swapping the orange to green coolant?

yeah i agree with murdog it sound like the intake manifold gasket my truck has the same problem,id keep 50/50 dexcool in your truck it can last up to 150,000 miles before replacing

1994 silverado k1500 350 5.7 stock for now

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Yes that is a blown lower intake gasket. when you do it you will want to drain and flush the coolant and change it to the green coolant.
    Yeah definite LIM gasket. Had that same problem with my blazer mid of last year. The dexCool is the only coolant I ever run in any vehicle. Green. Never tried the orange stuff, grew up with green. If you want more then just one bottle, get the full DexCool, not the premixed and just mix it yourself. Get 2 bottles for the price of 1. I was always told to bnever run full coolant, always get some sort of mix with it. Wether it be 50/50, 40/60 or 30/70.

And to be safe, while you got the motor apart changing the LIM, change all the gaskets. You should get the gasket kit, which will include all the gaskets for the same price as just the 1 gasket. This way you know all your gaskets are fresh and good to go for awhile. No more little surprises lol
    Whats Big, Black and sits low in the front?
    Black Beauty!!

Legend
    Blog Entries

Alright DexCool eats gaskets. yes it is a long lasting coolant but it eats the gaskets in these motors. Search the forum and you will see what it has done, and that is why GM has had nothing but problems with the intake and head gaskets in these motors. I only recomend the Green coolant since the DexCool tears up the gaskets yes you may have to change it a bit sooner but you know you wont have the gasket problems. meaning it will be cheaper all the way around.

Quote Originally Posted by murdog94 View Post
    Alright DexCool eats gaskets. yes it is a long lasting coolant but it eats the gaskets in these motors. Search the forum and you will see what it has done, and that is why GM has had nothing but problems with the intake and head gaskets in these motors. I only recomend the Green coolant since the DexCool tears up the gaskets yes you may have to change it a bit sooner but you know you wont have the gasket problems. meaning it will be cheaper all the way around.
    ive had dexcool in my truck since i bought it 7 years ago and it just now started to have a leak

Dex cool is known to eat seals. It is designed for people who don't know how to or don't want to be bothered by doing maintenance. You can't mix Dec with regular anti freeze unless the container specifically says that it will mix with any anti freeze. Otherwise your coolant turns into jell-o.

Replace the intake gasket, flush the cooling system and use regular coolant. Dex cool causes more problems than it fixes.

Just maintain your vehicle properly and you will be fine.

hummmm..... maybe that is why my gaskets are leaking on my 2000 with the 5.3..... it came with the newer orange stuff in it...... can it be changed to the green stuff if I get it flushed? I guess I would need my gaskets replaced too, but I am working that in a seperate thread.