GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default 2004 silverado stuck in neutral

04 Silverado 4x4 transfer case stuck on neutral.

Just replaced the transfer case. The original one locked up while driving. I got a new one and put it in but it is stuck in neutral. I can hear the encoder motor switching between 2h and all when I push the different buttons but it is still in neutral. Anything else I should check or do?

Change your selector maybe? Is your service 4wd light on in the message center?

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

When you say change selector I'm assuming you mean try to change it from 2wd to 4h or 4l. I've done all that and I can hear the encoder moving the shaft and hear it changing gears but it is still doesnt go anywhere. It's in neutral. Even in park it rolls. Service 4wd light is not on.

No I meant change the enitire selector switch. But since it rolls in park...

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    No I meant change the entire selector switch. But since it rolls in park...
    X2 on the selector switch. They tend to crap out fairly early unfortunately.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Still stuck in neutral. I can't think of anything else. Tried a new selector. Tried a new encoder but still stuck in neutral.

Sr. Engineer

Was this transfer case new, used or rebuilt and did it come with a warranty?
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

It came from a junkyard. I took the encoder motor off and tried turning the shift shaft with a wrench and it starts clicking when I move it either way like its trying to lock into gear but can't or won't.

Sr. Engineer

I have used junkyard parts and have had pretty good luck but you do take your chances. The ones I have dealt with have always been happy to exchange the part until you get one that works but you're on your own for labor. I would suggest taking to a tranny shop for an estimate to repair but tough to do since it will not move on it's own and besides the advice already given, I can be of no help to you except to tell you I feel your pain.
    Time to get the wrenches back out.

T

Pulled the transfer case out and out it back in. It came out of an 06 Sierra 1500. With everything off ground I can put it in neutral and turn front and rear wheels just fine. If I put it in 4h or l and turn a wheel by hand they all turn. If I put it in 2h and turn rear wheel front drive shaft turns but not front wheels. So the encoder motor seems to be doing its job. It's almost like the tranny output shaft isn't turning the input shaft on transfer case. Before I put it back up in there I switched from 2 to 4 with everything plugged in to it and turned the transfer case input shaft and everything did what it was supposed to. I can hear everything in the tranny turning when it's in gear. It's just not turning the transfer case. It's almost like the output shaft isn't going into the transfer case input. Is that even possible?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by