GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 255/65/15 Front 275/60/15 Rear?

I have stock 15"x8" wheels on my c1500.

Too much wheel spin.

Pros and cons of using these sizes and lowering my front end by about half an inch and raising the rear by a few millimeters?

Tomorrow is my day off and when I'm getting tires.

If you're wanting to change the rear tire size to reduce wheel hop, then I'm thinking that's not going to make a big difference if any at all.

2008 Ext. Cab Silverado LT1 5.3L 2WD
    APC LED Tail Lights | Spec D Smoked Third LED Brake Light | aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 CAI

Hmm, mostly just for the looks.

This is my first set of tires I have to buy ever and wheel spin is really killing my launches when I give it too much gas.

If you want to improve your launch look at the suspension.
    Lowering the front and raising the rear will only change the CG of the truck basically putting more weight over the front and less on the rear, the rear is already to light which is why your getting wheel hop, ya got no traction, lower the rear, stiffen the rear up with ladder bars or slapper bars that'll lock the spings up during a heavy launch and stop them from bouncing.
    Drag racers have been using this method since the 50's with great results.

Yeah.

Well I put them on. Got BFGoodrich Radial T/A's 255/60/15 Front and 275/60/15 Rear.

First off they look great. The truck is noticably lower, but not goofy looking. There is a slight rake, I have a single cab long bed and has barely any angle to it, but it is noticeable. Sidewalls on these tires are a classic look and one of the few tires produced for my truck that I actually enjoy looking at.

These tires are significantly smoother on the road than my previous Falken Landair H/T's (225/75/15) on the road. There used to be much play in my steering linkage on my old set probably a good 6-7 inches of dead zone, that has been reduced and the steering is slightly heavier, but allows for more feedback from the grip levels and balance during cornering.

Drifting.

Wow, my old tires were incredibly unpredictable, The sidewalls on the tires blow my old ones out of the water. BFGoodrich says that the 255/60/15's have their ideal sidewall structure for these radials which is what I have on the front. Tread design I wish was a bit closer together, but in the wet, these tires drift very well.

Brakes are working harder.

More torque/slower speedometer reading.

I haven't done any launches yet actually, just dry cornering and wet drifting. Will update on that soon with photos.

Overall, I'm very pleased!
    Last edited by xtelevisionset; 01-26-2012 at 06:52 PM.

Okay, took some photos after work today.

I gave my friend a ride today who I often give rides to and he commented on the smoothness of the ride.
    Also, I did a couple launches today and I guess having a wider contact patch in the rear coupled with heavier tires in the rear solved my traction problem very well. There is an optimal amount of slip in the tires and my launches have improved, but I have not compared to other cars yet.

I would recommend this set up, but perhaps with a slight lowering kit to remove some space in the wheel wells. I'm not going to because I'm very satisfied with my performance in these tires.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4485.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	34010Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4486.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	56.7 KB 
ID:	34011Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4490.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	34012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4492.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	34013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4493.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	34014

Edit:The Quality of the photos went way down after I uploaded, sorry about that.

Legend

Blog Entries

I think your truck turned out nice...very sharp. If you think it looks like you have too much space in the wheel wells, you might want to try wheel well liners or give wells a fresh coat of black paint or bedliner. It will reduce the contrast and make the gap less noticeable.

Mike (Denver, CO) - 2008 Sierra 1500 Z71 SLE 5.3L 4WD

SUSPENSION: Rancho 4" Suspension Lift; Rancho RS9000XL Shocks; Rancho Skid Plates; Rancho MyRide Wireless Shock Controller;
    TIRES:
    BFG All Terrain KO 315/70/17
    DRIVE TRAIN: 4.56 Gears; Detroit TrueTrac Differential; True Cool 40k Transmission Cooler
    PERFORMANCE: DiableSport Predator Tuner; Custom Tuned by Diablew; Magnaflow Exhaust; AFE Cold Air Intake
    ELECTRONICS: Kenwood DNX6180 Touchscreen; Subthump box w/10" Kicker; Driver Information Center (DIC); Rear View Camera
    ACCESSORIES: Westin Brush/Grill Gaurd; Westin Nerf Bars; Truxedo Tonneau; 20% Tint; Tow Mirrors w/Heat & Signals

I am late but would have suggested 295's in the rear but those definitely look nice. 295's fill the well just a bit more
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"