GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Amp sometimes works, sometimes doesn't?

Hey everyone,

I bought a new amp and 10" sub for my truch and had it professionally installed. Everything worked great for a time and then one day the amp stopped working. Sometimes, after I had shut the truck off for several hours, it would work again but those times got further and further apart. Now, it mostly doesn't work. It didn't work for several weeks and then one day, it worked. It worked for about three restarts of the truck and then hasn't worked again for a couple of weeks.

This same thing happened in my last truck. Is this a common problem or is it just my luck? Is this how amps go bad?

Thanks in advance for any insight on how to correct this.

2011 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L - 6" FabTech Lift, 35" Toyo's on 20" Raptor's, Magnaflow exhaust, CAI, Intune Custom Tune
    2007 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 5.3L - Black, 22" wheels, no other mods
    2008 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 2.0 Turbo - Black currently stock
    1993 Mercedes C300 Convertable Straight 6 - Red, 17,000 original miles
    2007 MB Sports B52 - 22' Competition wakeboard boat, 6.0L 375hp

Can you get to the amp?It sounds like it has a loose connection.Amps usually stop working all together and stink really bad when they die.

03 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab Z-71
    79 AMC Spirit GT
    77 Olds cutlass supreme

Quote Originally Posted by Z-71 View Post
    Can you get to the amp?It sounds like it has a loose connection.Amps usually stop working all together and stink really bad when they die.
    It's under the passenger seat but I should be able to get at it. If there was a loose connection, wouldn't it cut in and out while you drove down the road? The interesting thing is that when it comes on, it stays on, no cutting out, until I turn the truck off then next time I start, it either works or doesn't (more on the doesn't side).

2011 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3L - 6" FabTech Lift, 35" Toyo's on 20" Raptor's, Magnaflow exhaust, CAI, Intune Custom Tune
    2007 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 5.3L - Black, 22" wheels, no other mods
    2008 Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 2.0 Turbo - Black currently stock
    1993 Mercedes C300 Convertable Straight 6 - Red, 17,000 original miles
    2007 MB Sports B52 - 22' Competition wakeboard boat, 6.0L 375hp

Hmm never encountered a stinky blown amp but it does sound like a loose external connection.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

What brand amp? Who installed it? Best Buy,Pro 12 Volt shop, Eta, When it works does it sound right? If the speaker is Blown or sending a wrong OHM it may turn the amp off till it feels right? Sounds weird but Have the speakers looked at also.. Then the wires could be a pinched one somewhere..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by zigger215 View Post
    Hmm never encountered a stinky blown amp but it does sound like a loose external connection.
    Really?Out of the many I have had in my lifetime I have blow one and seen at least three that friends had blown and the one I blew filled the car with nasty smoke and they all probobly still smell like that burnt electronic smell.To the original poster you are probobly right but it is worth a try.

03 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab Z-71
    79 AMC Spirit GT
    77 Olds cutlass supreme

i have a similar issue in my car, the amp will turn on occasionally (not very often) however mine turned out to be just a loose power wire, is there a power light on your amp? it could also be an issue in your remote wire, that your head unit is not telling your amp to turn on sometimes
    2002 silverado ext. loaded white 4x4

Try checking all of your wires and connections, i had a amp that would ground out when i tried to mount it to the cab, try unscrewing it from the floor and setting it on the seat. How long ago did you have it installed? have you talked to the shop to see if they will take a look at it for free?