GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Tuning Up - Spark Plugs/wires Reccomendation

hey everyone, i'm looking to get my baby tuned up, i havent tuned it up at all since i bought her in 09' so i really need to do it, i have the 2009 vortec 5.3 V8, with flowmaster catbacks and a CAI, i want to try and put some good performance plugs and wires in. anyone know good brands, and how many i need to buy? :D i'm totally lost on this subject, lol. i know spark plugs and wires can help with performance and thats what i want. any info will help.
    thanks guys
    -luis
    Last edited by blacknight97; 01-30-2012 at 01:01 AM.
    2009 Chevy Silverado LT

Performance Mods:
    Flowmaster Cat Back Dual Rear Exhaust
    K&N 63 Series Cold Air Intake
    Pirelli Scorpion ATR All Terrain tires.

External Mods:
    8000K H.I.D Headlights
    Weston Side Step Bars
    Blacked Out Bowties
    Smoked Out Tail Lights
    6" Euro Style Rubber Antenna

Internal Mods:
    Pioneer P4200DVD Head Unit
    Pioneer 350 Watt Door Speakers
    Power Acoustic 1250 Watt 2 Way Amplifier
    Two 10" Kicker Comp Subwoofers
    Pioneer Tweeters

Legend

unless you have noticed a significant loss in MPG there is no reason to do a tuneup. How many miles are on it. and as far as performance these vortecs dont react well to anything but the oem spark plugs, and i and many others will attest you use something else and you lose mpg which also means you arent gaining any performance.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    unless you have noticed a significant loss in MPG there is no reason to do a tuneup. How many miles are on it. and as far as performance these vortecs dont react well to anything but the oem spark plugs, and i and many others will attest you use something else and you lose mpg which also means you arent gaining any performance.
    Yeah ive noticed im not getting as well as i did and its been a little sluggish.

Legend

I assume you have no codes showing? there can be alot of things that could relate to the truck "feeling" sluggish, a change from your normal gas or using the E85 gas if you had always used standard gas. Low air pressure in your tires. With such a new truck i wouldnt just throw money at it assuming its the plugs and wires. Pull them first and see what they look like. there are plenty of guides on youtube and google to show you what you are looking for for a prematurely worn spark plug, and of course there is the thousands of truck guys o this site.

Quote Originally Posted by vncj96 View Post
    I assume you have no codes showing? there can be alot of things that could relate to the truck "feeling" sluggish, a change from your normal gas or using the E85 gas if you had always used standard gas. Low air pressure in your tires. With such a new truck i wouldnt just throw money at it assuming its the plugs and wires. Pull them first and see what they look like. there are plenty of guides on youtube and google to show you what you are looking for for a prematurely worn spark plug, and of course there is the thousands of truck guys o this site.
    Yeah no codes showing. Im at 31K miles and do oil changes when i need to. I put regular gas from usually BP,Hess,Shell,or Mobil.

With only 31k your plugs and wires have alot of miles left. There has to be other issues causing your problems.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Legend

take it to the dealership, put your warranty to work