GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: Who do you trust?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Car Dealership

3 27.27%
  • Used car Dealership

1 9.09%
  • Wholesaler

1 9.09%
  • Private Sale

5 45.45%
  • Relatives

1 9.09%

Default Who do you trust?

When buying a used vehicle, who do you trust more?
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

i guess it just really depends on what year of vehicle your buying...ive only bought vehicles off Craigslist and and from close friends.Never had any troubles doing it that way.If your buying a used vehicle,i would buy it from a private seller,just because they would(should) know more about that vehicle than a used car lot!

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Crew Cab "All-Star Edition"

Line-X'd Bed
    Line-X'd Custom Brush Guard(Heavy Duty)
    5.3L Flex Fuel
    275/65R18 Toyo Open Country AT2's
    2" Rough Country Leveling Kit(want to get the 2.5 RC kit)
    EGR In-Channel Vent Visors
    Exterior PLUS Package
    Interior PLUS Package
    K&N Drop-In Air Filter
    ProFlaps
    Cat-Back Dual Exhaust
    Black Bowties
    Diablo Sport Predator(AFM Disabled)
    ProFlaps
    Towing Mirrors
    Next Planned Mods
    Blacked out Tail Lights
    Aftermarket Rims

Blog Entries

I used to work with a used car dealer and will never trust them. They will tell you anything about an older vehicle to get you into it, and IMO pathological liars make the best used car salesmen. I bought my truck from a new car dealer and while I don't particularly like that dealer or his staff personally, they were extremely honest and willing to work with me. I've been screwed by my own relatives before, so that's kind of out of the picture for me, and I've never bought anything from a wholesaler before (as far as auto's go). For me, new car or private seller.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

I prefer a private seller.

Main reason is that used dealers buy from auctions. No known history of those cars, and under Lemon Law arbitration, the manufacturer often has to buy back the defective vehicle, at which time they fix it and sell it to an autioner. This is straight from the mouth of a General Motors Lemon Law negotiator. Then you have other issues such as someone trading in a vehicle to a dealer and the dealer never checks for history of repairs, problems, etc. Yes, you have Carfax, but that does not pick up everything.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

I only buy used from a new car dealer because there reputation is on the line and if the vehicle has problems or bad history they wholesale them to the corner lots. I bought my last 2 Silverados from a new car lot and both have been great. Also my sister bought her Silverado from a new dealer and it has been trouble free.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

None of them! They are ALL liars! New car dealers usually tend to be the least snakey of the bunch and generally only keep the best of the best trade ins to re-sell. most used car dealers buy the cars that the new car dealers don't want on their lot from auto auctions. Individuals will lie a green streak to unload their junk. At the end of the day, it is your responsibility to have any vehicle checked out by a neutral third party before buying. Just remember, you normally get the "Georgia Guarantee" when buying used cars... "If it breaks, you get to keep all of the pieces".

Think of it like a game: When looking at a used car, know and completely understand that there IS something wrong with it. The game is for you to find the problem(s) BEFORE you buy it, and then decide if you are willing to buy it knowing about the problems.
    Last edited by moogvo; 03-03-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Where's the "me" option?

To Be Completed (Eventually):
    6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp