GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default towing a load with a 2008 5.3 V8 Z71 4 wd and a 4 speed transmission.

Iam looking on advice on towering a 16ft trailer with 3 or 4 atv's on it. I will be travling about 350 miles. I have a 2008 5.3 Z71 4wd crew cab, with a 4 speed transmission. Should i use the tower haul or leave it in just D.

Legend

Blog Entries

Considering you will be towing a fairing good size load with 3 or 4 atv's and the weight of the trailer, I would put the transmission in tow mode. If you don't the transmission will be shifting a lot more than it should causing it to build up heat and heat is a bad thing in your tranny!!

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

I agree with Red Z71 Max

2011 1500 Silverado LT, 4x4/Z71
    K&N, Chrome Nerfs, Run Lucas Oil fuel treatment,
    DB-CORSA cat-back system (received). :great:

Like the others said, I would use tow/haul for that one. And if you can stand running your engine that fast for the whole trip, the service manager at my local dealer says that running in 3rd instead of Drive when you're towing really helps to save the 4L60E transmission in these trucks. I personally just use tow/haul though and have never had a problem.

2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck

Quote Originally Posted by JUGHEAD View Post
    Iam looking on advice on towering a 16ft trailer with 3 or 4 atv's on it. I will be travling about 350 miles. I have a 2008 5.3 Z71 4wd crew cab, with a 4 speed transmission. Should i use the tower haul or leave it in just D.
    X2.....on what PMF608 has mentioned regarding the using the Tow/Haul and Towing in 3rd Gear, when Towing a Load, the below information is regarding the Tow/Haul feature and its from the Silverado's Owners Manual,

Tow/Haul is a feature on automatic transmission equipped vehicles that assists when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.

The purpose of the Tow/Haul mode is to:
    • Reduce the frequency and improve the predictability of transmission shifts when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.
    • Provide the same solid shift feel when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load as when the vehicle is unloaded.
    • Improve control of vehicle speed while requiring less throttle pedal activity when pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load.

Tow/Haul is designed to be most effective when the vehicle and trailer combined weight is at least 75% of
    the vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).

Tow/Haul is most useful under the following driving conditions:
    • When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load through rolling terrain.
    • When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in stop and go traffic.
    • When pulling a heavy trailer or a large or heavy load in busy parking lots where improved low speed control of the vehicle is
    desired.
    Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 01-30-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added Infor.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

could aslo see about ant upgraded tranny cooler with fan makes my 03 drive alot easier when hauling the portable water tanks when we go on a wildfire

I've had my 08 5.3 4spd since mile 6 on the odometer, i've towed several heavy loads at highway speeds i have ran into no issues at all with excessive transmission temp or any kind of shifting issues. I usually just leave my truck in D no Tow/Haul selected. Of course I live in west texas and the roads are extremely flat. but one thing i've done while towing heavy loads through the hill country part of texas is accelerate as im rolling downhill and let inertia do the rest as much as possible when coming back up.

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending