GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Spare tire hoist tool

I recently bought a 2007 Silverado, regular cab.
    The spare tire tools (and jack) were missing.
    I plan to use a hydraulic bottle jack for lifting but I need to know the dimensions of the "square drive" end of the hoist operating rod so I can fabricate a rod to operate the spare tire hoist.
    I know it is neither 3/8" nor 1/2' square drive, so a long extension from my tool box isn't gonna do the trick.
    I can't get an eyeball on the female receiver for the rod.
    Anybody out there can measure this square drive end and post the dimensions please?

Blog Entries

I have never looked at my new truck tire spare yet, but our last 2 GM's simply had a flat screwdriver end on the lowering tool!!!..Don't know if that is much help,
    but on one of our vehicles, I was able to use a long Tire - Iron with the flat screwdriver end once or twice a year to drop the spare to lube and clean
    above the spare tire without having to unpack the original spare tool. Brian
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

You might want to look at the difference in your new truck spare tire hoisting set-up.
    On mine, there is a long, hollow tube that spans from the hoist diagonally to the rear bumper. Probably 20 or so inches long.
    Any tool to engage the hoist receiver socket is going to have to be about 30" long to allow it to extend beyond the bumper.
    The owner's manual shows the OEM tool and it is clearly a square drive end that engages the hoist receiver, I just need someone to accurately measure the square sides so I will know what size to fabricate the end of my custom hoist rod.

I used a 12mm wrench to turn mine since it didn't come with a tool. But I stole the tool out of my dads ford and it fits. So I'm going say around 11-12mm so 15/32.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Thanks riley. OK, from your explanation I think you are telling me you used a 12mm open end wrench to turn the long rod that engages to the tool port on the hoist itself.
    My problem has been that I don't have any of the OEM tire tool kit at all. So I have attempted to make the long rod by welding a cut off 1/2" square drive ratchet extension on the end of a length of 1/2" round bar stock. That size did not fit into the hoist receiver port. I figured it was too big so I then welded a 3/8" square drive on the opposite end of bar stock. That too did not fit (probably went inside the receiver but not actually engage cause too small).
    I am going to grind the 1/2" square end down to 12mm and try it again.
    I'll post back the results.

I hope the image is clear enough to describe what I need to accomplish.
    I now think the tool receiver on the hoist must be a MALE square drive........based on what rileyjr stated in his post, plus the male and female ends of the OEM tool kit imply that too. I was thinking the tool receiver on the hoist to be FEMALE but the image hints otherwise.
    I will just have to fabricate a FEMALE end for the rod I have been making.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tool description.jpg 
Views:	2858 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	34647

Blog Entries

Kan1ck:

Inside dimensions on the square end of the rod is 1/2". Diagonally is going to be 5/8". I didn't find those on the internet, I grabbed a tape measure and measured it for you. Doesn't mean it's accurate for your truck, but I hope it's what you needed!

*EDIT*

Realized after I was done posting that I also thought that the end on the inside of the tube was a male end requiring the female end of the rod. I took a picture of the end of the rod used in the tube:

Measurements on this include:

Total length: 7/8"
    Width: 9/16"
    Length of hooked end: 3/16"
    Thickness: 3/16" + (between 3/16" and 1/4" exactly center)

Guessing that you can heat and bend that hook in it. Again, this is for a classic body style and they may have changed it on the newer body styles.
    Last edited by Jimmeh; 02-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

Thanks for measuring the square drive end. I can come up with a 1/2" female square drive end easy enough as I have a number of small 1/2" drive sockets that are worn out, useless for nuts & bolts but might be ideal for this.
    According to my OEM Owner's Manual, the section of tool kit rod with a hooked end is only for operating the vehicle lifting jack, not anything to do with hoist operation.
    Tomorrow I will pick out a suitable worn out socket and try that.

Thanks to rileyjr and jimmeh for the helpful information.
    An old 1/2" drive X 3/8" 12 point socket welded onto the rod I've been working with confirms that I'm now heading in the right direction.
    The 1/2" square fits a little loose and sloppy on the tool stem of the hoist, but it turns the hoist and can be used "as is".
    I am probably gonna try for a better fit of female rod end to male hoist stem. Likely I will lay in a shallow weld of filler on 2 adjoining "flats" inside the socket square and then dress the welded material to a good tight fit using my die grinder and a carbide burr bit.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Last edited by murdog94; 02-14-2012 at 05:43 AM. Reason: edited by moderator

Legend
    Blog Entries

*thread trimmed, as we all know this is a family forum and there isnt a need for inflamatory comments.*
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"