GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Unhappy 98 Suburban - MUCH noise between 55-68 mph

I have a 98 Suburban, 4WD, 5.9 V8. approx 118K miles. I love the truck, but when accelerating between 55 and 68 mph there is a LOT of noise from the vehicle in the cabin. When I get past 70, the noise goes away and also if I let off the gas the noise continues for about 3 seconds and then stops (regardless of MPH).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. One garage told me that my Kelly tires could be causing this as they were wearing unevenly...

Jr. Engineer

what rpm range? could be lifters or an imbalance in motor.....

Default noise

Quote Originally Posted by bboyd View Post
    I have a 98 Suburban, 4WD, 5.9 V8. approx 118K miles. I love the truck, but when accelerating between 55 and 68 mph there is a LOT of noise from the vehicle in the cabin. When I get past 70, the noise goes away and also if I let off the gas the noise continues for about 3 seconds and then stops (regardless of MPH).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. One garage told me that my Kelly tires could be causing this as they were wearing unevenly...
    Crank shaft.

I hope I'm wrong.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

What kind of noise is it, a whine, a rattle or what? Does it include any vibrations?
    Gary

99 K 1500 Suburban
    78 Silverado Big 10 w/factory 454
    00 S-10 Blazer
    1976 Trans Am
    1980 Honda CB900 Custom

Default Noise

There is definitely some vibration. The noise sounds like really loud road noise, and goes away when I left off the accelerator or accelerate over 70/below 58.

If it is the crankshaft as one of the other posters said, what does that involve for estimated repair costs?

Jr. Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by bboyd View Post
    There is definitely some vibration. The noise sounds like really loud road noise, and goes away when I left off the accelerator or accelerate over 70/below 58.

If it is the crankshaft as one of the other posters said, what does that involve for estimated repair costs?
    if its the crank your are looking at a complete rebuild... really no other way.

1993 K1500 Suburban 350TBI, 378,486KMS on frame, 49,000KMS on Drivetrain. Lots of mods, built for haulin trailers and haulin @$$ :)

2000 K2500 Yukon XL 6.0L Vortec 252000KMS custom CAI, and exhaust...but not done yet.

"If you are dumb enough to do something you don't know how to do, and can't do it safely then WHEN you get hurt its your own fault...BONEHEAD"

Default Other question

Is it possible that this could be caused by bad shocks? I've changed the front ones since purchasing the truck, but don't know if the back ones have ever been touched...

One of the first steps in diagnosing noises is to try and determine if it's engine or drivetrain related. You say the noise seems most prevalent between 55 and 68 mph. Assuming that's in 4th gear, the next thing to do would be to put the transmission in D (so it won't shift into 4th) and see if the noise occurs at the same vehicle speed or at the same engine speed (a slower vehicle speed). If the noise seems more related to engine speed, then start looking at engine related things (fan clutch, misfire, exhaust noise, etc.). If it seems more related to vehicle speed, then check things in the rest of the drivetrain (u-joints, suspension, tires, etc.).
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

It's hard to say w/o hearing the noise. I've had speed-related noises be everything from out-of-balance wheels to ... yes a damaged crank in a 350.

Shorty is right, definately try to rule out the tranny. That speed range could be when you shift into 4th gear and you may have a bad 4th. Try that first.

Is the noise louder with the windows down? Do you feel vibration, espectially anything coming up through the brakes or the steering column?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Default Thank you!!

I will try the items listed by Shorty and report back to the forum. I appreciate all of the responses!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by