GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 1999 K1500 Chevy help

I just purchased a K1500 Chevy Suburban, with the 5.7 Vortec. It has the push button 4WD. Aside from the K&N filter, she's stock. I want to do just a couple of small things for now, maybe more later. I was hoping to get some tips here on the forum.

She has 181K miles, but appears to have been well taken care of. I suppose due diligence would be to change the fuel filter, maybe run som Seafoam through from the tank to clean out the crud. Spark plugs and distributor cap and rotor too I'm guessing. Anything aside from those to get it where it needs to be?

Also as far as lift goes, I have seen some ads for the torsion key lifts that appear to be quite simple and inexpensive. They purport to provide up to 3 inches of lift withthe torsion keys alone. I imagine that I would need blocks for the rear after those. Are these torsion key lifts any good? With just 2 inches above stock, I'm not too worried about putting the 4WD components in a bind, should I be?

Any input anyone wishes to provide would be appreciated.

I would change fluid and filter in the tranny, change fluids in the transfercase, diffs, powersteering, brakes, and flush the cooling system. Check serp. belt and pulleys and hoses. Check u-joints and steering linkages and grease any fittings

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boonduff View Post
    I would change fluid and filter in the tranny, change fluids in the transfercase, diffs, powersteering, brakes, and flush the cooling system. Check serp. belt and pulleys and hoses. Check u-joints and steering linkages and grease any fittings
    Yep. Oh and make sure you only run AC delco Platinum plugs (the vortec motors dont seem to like any other plugs)
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Boonduff View Post
    I second this post... Tranny filter isn't hard to change. My u-joints are squeaking. I grease all the fittings in the suspension every couple months. My Suburban is the same year as your BUrb, same model, and almost the same mileage. I think I'm at 184k. I needed new plugs, cap and rotor. I did the tranny fluid/filter and I'm about to do the u-joints and rear diff fluid. I have stuff to flush the cooling system, but haven't yet. My biggest suggestion is to run seafoam a few times, then change the fuel filter and plugs. Suburbans of this era get injector clogs and carbon buildup. It robs power and reliability.

Oh, and I can't speak for the front lift, but I did put one inch blocks on my rear with ease. It makes the truck look taller and less squatty.
    I like you.