GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 4.8-5.3 engine swap

Hey folks,

I'm new to this forum and im trying to get some info on if it is possible to swap a 4.8 out for a 5.3. I have a wrecked 02 silverado with a running 5.3 in it. I want to put it in my 07 silverado that has a 4.8. I plan on rebuilding the 5.3 and drop it in the 07 truck. My problems are whether or not the engine will bolt up to the tranny and the frame and if the electronics will work off the 4.8 or do i need the 5.3 electronics. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks Corey

Is your 07 a classic (NBS) or the newer body style (NNBS)? It should bolt up to the transmission fine, as both trucks use the 4L60E. The electronics I'm not sure about though.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

Pretty sure you'll have to reflash your cpu for a 5.3

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Thanks, its a newer body style and they both do have the 4 speeds with them. since i still have the complete truck with the cpu for the 5.3 will i still have to flash it also?