GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

View Poll Results: Rat Rods: Cool or Not?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Awesome

6 66.67%
  • Dumb

2 22.22%
  • Don't Care

1 11.11%

Default Rat Rods? Cool or not? Discuss here!

Well, I was looking at some burnout videos on youtube and came across this beauty: I realize its a Dodge but it's still awesome IMO lol. I really want to build a turbo diesel rat rod someday. Being a Chevy guy I'll probably use a Dmax motor but this video has definitely inspired me haha. Some people think rat rods are stupid and that's fine, but I can't enough of them. Yes the 32 Ford coupe with a chopped roof and a small block V8 has become pretty much cliche over the years but cars like this Dodge have a lot of character. From the motor to the rust to the suspension and all the little odds and ends on the car, they all add a little something. So, what do y'all think? Yay or nay for rat rods?
    Last edited by TELORVEHC; 02-01-2012 at 11:02 PM.
    04 ECSB Custom silver & grey, Soft 8's, BFG KO's, ReadyLift Leveling Kit, Hellwig front sway bar, K&N filter, DeeZee EZ-Down, Rhino liner, Alpine CDE103BT, Rockford 6.5's, 12" V.A.T. Hammer Pro in a Subthump box, Alpine PowerPack amp, Hifonics amp, BackRack w/ 55w 5000k HID KC Daylighters, KC light bar with 4 KC Slimlites, UWS toolbox, Shaved Antenna mod, Black Bowtie, LED backup, license plate, dome lights & 3rd brake light

I'm with ya! I know I'll build one, some day. Too many kids at home still, but some day... I like the "real" ones, though - not gobs of money thrown at something to make it look the part. A Buick this, a Ford that, topped of with Chevy power, of course. (unless you have a triple Strom flathead lying around!)
    I have doodled some pictures of my '89 Sierra, which is due up for refurb, missing the front clip, support bars to the radiator, and huge 60's era KW/PB bullit style headlights hanging off the front. My wife already said 'eh, no' , but she's not home all the time

I put this one together awhile back. Something looked like it would fit somewhere else, and off I went... This cleared 3 busted projects out of my house, and the kids love it. It's all spare parts except about $1.70 for nylon bushings in the spindles. That's my full size canvas in the background - don't tell my wife...

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

Yeah, a flathead would be my 2nd choice for a motor, they got that old school look and triple Strombergs would be awesome. Though you can get a decent turbo diesel engine just about anywhere and there's a huge aftermarket for them, Duramax, Cummins, Powerstroke w/e. Plus they make a crapload of power without costing a whole lot (relatively speaking).

As much as I hate to say it , Flatheads done right are way cool. Offenhauser, Strombergs, split manifolds, etc.
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"