Results 1 to 5 of 5
02-01-2012, 11:44 PM #1
New taillights and LED light bar, what do you guys think?
So one day I was looking at my truck and I decided I had enough of my old tail lights, which were just OEM's with a chrome V-tech bowtie cover over them. (For the record, the previous owner had put them on, not me!) I finally pulled the trigger and ordered new taillights off E-bay. And a few weeks back I put a 60" LED tailgate light strip on there too. It has a reverse feature but I don't know how to wire it into my reverse light inside the taillight.
Anyway, tell me what you guys think! Any and all opinions. I feel that it helps take some of the flashiness away from my truck and is complimented by the tailgate cap and the tinted windows.
09 Sierra SLT
- Denali grille, black HALO headlights, smoked tails & brake light, 20% tint, Carbon fiber interior
- Top Gun Customz 2.5" leveling kit, 305/55/20 Toyo Open Country AT's on GMC 20's
- K&N 77 series cold air intake, Flowmaster super 10 series exhaust
Next up: Smoked fog lights
2000 Silverado Z71
- 4" body lift, 315/65/16 Mastercraft Courser AT2 tires
- Stainless steel Excalibur catback exhaust
- Lots more to come!
02-01-2012, 11:52 PM #2
Those lights look pretty good. Your truck reminds me of my old truck. I think some nice 20" wheels would look good on there too.....
2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread.
1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck
02-02-2012, 01:26 AM #3
tail lights look good man now all you need to do is get headlights and third brake light and will look even better good job bro.
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab Lt Z71 5.3 V8
7.5 Inch Rough Country Suspension Lift
RBP Replica Grille Black w Chrome Rivets
Recon Smoked Cab Roof Lights
N-Fab Powdercoated Gloss black Cab Length Nerf Steps
5% Tint over 20% all the way around / 5% Eyebrow Strip
AVS Smoked Window Visors
Z71 Stickers Black & Metallic Silver
Tow Mirrors / Smoked Turn Signals
XM Satellite Radio Fin / Color Matched
Interior Plastic Pieces / Color Matched
Power Acoustic Tweeters
Painted Bowties / Color Matched
Painted Door Handles / Color Matched
Smittybilt Bull Bar / Color Matched
Custom Rolled Edge Exhaust Tips / Color Matched
Custom 2.5 Inch Cat Back True Dual Exhaust
Flowmaster Super 40 Series Dual in / Dual out
Magnaflow Tru-X Pipe
K&N Air Filter
18x9 Rockstars Machined Black
Center Caps / Color Matched
33.13.50 Nitto Terra Grapplers
New Front Wheel Well Liners
Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Tailights
Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Third Brake Light / Smoked
Eagle Eye Black L.E.D. Halo Projector Headlights
Notto HID Kit 10,000k Low beams
Recon L.E.D. Light Bar
Buschwacker OE Style Tailgate Cap
AMI Gloss Black Antenna
Debadged Chrome Lettering
Door Molding Removed
03-27-2012, 06:00 AM #4
That looks really nice. It's amazing what the little things can do for the overall look of the truck. It's definitely distinct. If you play around with it and figure out how to get it wired into the reverse, make a post about it.
To Be Completed (Eventually):
6" BDS Suspension lift | KingShocks Front and Rear Coil Overs | 4.56 Gears | 35" A/Ts (TBD) | Cervinis 07-12 Silverado Ram Air Hood | Fab Fours Front Winch Bumper (CS07-H2051-1) | Fab Fours Full Size Rear Bumper (CS07-W1850-1) | RX-2 Series Main Grille (Black) | Line-x Bed and wheel wells | Skid Plates | Rizor Automated Tonneau Cover | Custom Bed Insert | RBP RX-3 Series Nerf Bars | Kenwood Excelon DNX9990HD | JL Audio Stealthbox (2x500RMS) | JL Audio HD 1200/1 Class D Mono Amp | JL Audio C5-653 Components (Front) | JL Audio C5-650 Components (Rear) | JL Audio Slash v2 300/4v2 Class A/B Amp
03-27-2012, 09:04 AM #5
- Drop the tailgate.
- Remove one of the tail lights; either is fine just pick one.
- Remove the wiring to the reverse bulb.
- Notice there are two wires connected to the bulb socket -- one is black and one is coloured.
- The black wire should be your common ground (-) wire while the coloured wire should be your positive (+) wire.
- Remove the bulb.
To confirm the coloured wire is your positive (+) wire:
- Set the parking brake.
- Put the key in the ignition.
- Turn on your vehicle but DO NOT START IT.
- Press the brake pedal and put the vehicle into reverse.
- Return to the removed tail light and use a test light/device to probe the coloured wire's lead within the empty bulb socket. Make ABSOLUTELY sure you have a good ground point; if you probe the lead and you don't get a light/tone then try moving your device/light's ground before assuming it's not a positive lead. The goal is to get a tone or light from the test light/device when probing the lead ... while the vehicle is in reverse.
- Return to the cab, press the brake pedal, and put the vehicle back into park.
- Remove the key from the ignition.
- Repeat step 5 and this time expect a result where the test light/device does NOT provide a tone or light when probing the same lead as before ... since the vehicle is not in reverse.
Assuming you confirmed the wire was hot when the vehicle was in reverse and it was not hot when the vehicle was in park ... you now know which wire is the positive wire to the reverse light in one tail light. Tap the identified tail light wire and make a solid connection from it to the appropriate wire from the light bar. Wiring to the tail light should be encapsulated within some wiring loom; if so I recommend routing the light bar's wire within the same wire loom to the tail light you're working with ... so that it's protected.
Assuming the tail light bar has only one ground wire (which you've already connected in order to get the brake lights working with it), you should now be able to test, again, to confirm that your light bar functions properly when in reverse.
By zachmilz in forum GM Electrical TechReplies: 8Last Post: 09-06-2010, 06:04 PM
By kukini808 in forum Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)Replies: 3Last Post: 12-30-2009, 07:51 AM
By gt1009 in forum General Chevy & GM Tech QuestionsReplies: 9Last Post: 07-19-2009, 12:21 AM
By Blazerado in forum Chevy Truck AccessoriesReplies: 2Last Post: 04-25-2009, 05:17 AM
By jpap2369 in forum Chevy Truck AccessoriesReplies: 0Last Post: 10-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Tags for this Thread