GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Why does my truck miss fire badly when I first start it in the morning?

I have a 1995 C1500 Chevy with the 4.3L V6 engine. Its a TBI engine. The other day when I started it for the first time in the morning it skipped and miss fired really badly for about 30sec then it was fine. I used it all day and it started up normal every time and ran perfect. Then the next day after it sat all night it did the same thing as before only for the first start of the day then it was fine all day again. It sounds like its only firing on 4 cylinders when it miss fires. I have new plugs and wires in it, new fuel filter, cap and rotor. Also the fuel pump and strainer are only a year old. I checked vacume lines and they all seem fine. My personal thought is that it might be a bad ignition control module because it only does itonce in the morning then its perfict the rest of the day.Any ideas? Thanks for your time and help all!
    1995 C1500 4.3L 2WD. JET TBI Spacer, JET stage 1 chip, 10mm Taylor custom wires, Pulstar Iridium Pulse Plugs.
    260k miles and still going strong...

Legend
    Blog Entries

Hey,
    I hate when that happens.. LOL i got a few ideas:

1) o2 sensor- could effect exhaust stream
    2) spark plugs, plug wires
    3) switch your coils around
    4) Cap & Roter
    5) Coolant Leak

Make a list and start going through them.. GOOD LUCK!

2008 GMC ENVOY SLT
    GT RACERS Black Diamond Grille
    | PIAA Headlights| BEAMERS Pro HID Kit 6,000K Diamond White |
    3" LiftMeister Body Lift Kit
    |Skyjacker Suspension| MagnaFlow Exhaust w/tip |Hella Supertone Horns| Blacked out Body

"Silly Boys! Lifted Trucks are for Girls"
    "If you can't beat 'em, then your going to slow" :sign0081:

one possibility is the coils used on these trucks are known for going bad and arc when there is moisture in the morning till the engine heat dries them out, you may be able to duplicate the issue by using a spray bottle of water on the coil once it starts running right and it should go back to the misfiring.
    my 88 sas "mudwasp"
    88 chevy k2500, started as reg cab lb, now reg cab shortbox, sas 17'' of lift, 52'' front springs f.i. bbc , 79 dana hp 60 chevy outers, 14bolt ff spooled divorced 205 and cut 40'' gumbos
    1998 k3500 gmc crew cab dually L65 6.5TD 4l80e with a couple of mods

bouncing truck avatar creator

I tryed the water on the ign. coil but it didnt make a difference it still ran fine. It was also replaced less than a year ago. Its only miss firing for about 20-30 sec then its like all of a sudden fine.

i wonder if you have some lifters losing prime over night then? does it clatter at all when its misfiring?