GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Wheel Spacers And Towing?

Okay I've heard so many different opinions on this matter. I've heard that they are bad to tow with because they strain your axle, also heard that it's just overall a bad idea to have spacers.

Mainly want to know because I am going to start hauling a camper around from time to time; it's 29' and has 700lbs on the hitch. So I just want to know if it's okay to haul it with the spacers or if I should take them off to tow? Any ideas?
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Are you using the bolt on spacers or the slide on style? I wouldn't trust the slide on style if I was just driving around the block at 5mph. The bolt on ones are strong, but you should really be asking the maker of the spacers what they recommend.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonduff View Post
    Are you using the bolt on spacers or the slide on style? I wouldn't trust the slide on style if I was just driving around the block at 5mph. The bolt on ones are strong, but you should really be asking the maker of the spacers what they recommend.
    Have you ever run a set of quality slip on spacers??

OP,

If it is 10mm or smaller of a spacer there should not be that much of a strain on the axles but if they are not wheel centric I would not run them in the first place. If you are having any doubts about pulling that load with spacers its best to just remove them. I ran Motorsports Tech custom spacers and pulled some heavy loads for a 1/2 ton and zero issues. They were wheel and hub centric and I had zero issues from them.

________2013 4C Rated__________

[QUOTE=ajarman;436919]Have you ever run a set of quality slip on spacers??
    Nope, never will. I fix the issue right the first time by using wheels with the correct backspacing. Wheel spacers are a potentially dangerous quick fix straining wheel studs and accelerating wear on bearings. You can read multiple posts on this forum about the issue. In my opinion you're risking your life, the life of your passengers, and the lifes of those around you on the road. Imagine bearing or stud failure on a heavy truck pulling a heavy trailer at 65 mph. Don't take my word for it or any other posters word for it, it's not our lives at stake. I say contact the manufacturer of the spacers. I bet they won't recommend towing. They don't want to be held responsible for people potentially losing there lives. Do you?
    Last edited by Boonduff; 02-02-2012 at 10:10 AM.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Do you not think that offset other than OEM for wheels dont add stress as well???

Its kinda hard judge something never trying it.....dont you think?

________2013 4C Rated__________

They are 2'' Rough Country wheel spacers. I also have the same brand spacer on my 1/2 silverado but they are only 1.25'' and haven't had a problems but I do not tow with it. But now that I have a 3/4 I just want to know if they are safe to tow with. They are very heavy duty spacers, but don't want to take the risk of messing something up. I pull a small trailer but never anything close to the weight of a camper.
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

[QUOTE=Boonduff;436973]
    Quote Originally Posted by ajarman View Post
    Have you ever run a set of quality slip on spacers??
    Nope, never will. I fix the issue right the first time by using wheels with the correct backspacing. Wheel spacers are a potentially dangerous quick fix straining wheel studs and accelerating wear on bearings. You can read multiple posts on this forum about the issue. In my opinion you're risking your life, the life of your passengers, and the lifes of those around you on the road. Imagine bearing or stud failure on a heavy truck pulling a heavy trailer at 65 mph. Don't take my word for it or any other posters word for it, it's not our lives at stake. I say contact the manufacturer of the spacers. I bet they won't recommend towing. They don't want to be held responsible for people potentially losing there lives. Do you?

Greetings,

Why would towing add any extra strain to wheel spacers is my question? The strain on the lugs is the strain on the lug studs, no matter whats between them. Anything over 10mm on these trucks should have bolt on spacers of >1.25", or have new studs pressed in. In most cases, the aftermarket studs that are pressed in are of higher quality than factory. So, wheres the issue there? As to your point about strain on the hub, bearings and other suspension parts, as Ajarman said, its no different than the stress of putting an aftermarket wheel. Offset is offset. The futher you push any wheel out over factory its going to put the same stress on the suspension. Thats whether or not you're using spacers. So as for you saying "I fix the issue right the first time by using wheels with the correct backspacing", you aren't essentially 'fixing' anything. You're putting strain on your hubs, bearings and lugs the same as a set of spacers would. If the spacers are wheelcentric to your wheels, then I wouldn't sweat towing with spacers.

The style you see below, are not wheelcentric, and are dangerous at any capacity.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheelSpacers.jpg 
Views:	858 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	34312

The bolt on type (shown below) are totally safe given that you are getting them from a reputable manufacture who is using top quality materials. As Ajarman said, Motorsport tech is pretty much the person I'd go to for some custom spacers. They can adapat nearly anything to anything.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WheelAdapters.jpg 
Views:	720 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	34313

Spacers have so come so far, that they're evening using them in OEM applications. I don't mean like a chevy sonic with 150hp. The Porsche 997 Turbo comes factory with spacers, as do several of the port installed option Mercedes wheels. So my $0.02 is if its done right, and its good enough for OEM manufactures to use it, and its good enough for the race track, why wouldn't it be good enough for towing?

No, If you're wondering about my agenda here, I don't currently own a truck or tow anything, but I do frequently lurk this forum because i'm interested and I have 10s of thousands of miles logged using wheel spacers. I have them custom made for every set of wheels I've owned over the past 2 years. I've put a car on the track with them, I've auto-xed with them, and I haven't blown a wheel bearing, a hub, stripped or broken any lugs.

Well I think I've got my answer. I couldn't see how it would be any different than aftermarket wheels and its really not a lot of weight. Thanks for all the ideas from everyone
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails