GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by
    Master Mechanic

Default Opinion of Truck Bed Caps

I searched the forum for people's thoughts on truck bed caps and didn't find anything so here goes.
    I just purchased a 2011 Chevy SIlverado 1500 5.3 V8 w/7500 miles. The previous owner put a truck Century Ultra Series cap in it. He had it painted using the paint code of the truck so it matches perfectly. Usually I only see caps on trucks whose owners are say...over 30
    Well I'm under 30 and personally I think I kind of like it. It lines up nicely with the body of the truck and its height is not above cab height. I also think it makes the truck look bigger and adds a more functionality. Yes I could throw an air mattress in it for camping, but now I can't put my ATV in the bed of my truck. I haven't tried it but I'm pretty sure the handle bars are above cab height. A friend of mine who isn't a "truck cap" kind of guy said he thought it looked good. As I add mods to my truck I'm watching how the cap's style fits into my desired style for the truck (which I haven't figured out yet but am pretty sure I'm looking to black it out more than I am to bling it out w/ chrome).

Overall what are your thoughts, does it look horrible or do you think it has potential? I'm also wondering if I could find any damage upon removal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Truck Cap.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	34342

I wouldn't mind having one for the extra utility or camping abilitys but I probably wouldn't leave it on all the time. Looks good on your truck!

Master Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by dadngt View Post
    I wouldn't mind having one for the extra utility or camping abilitys but I probably wouldn't leave it on all the time. Looks good on your truck!
    Thanks dadngt. The only thing about "not leaving it on all the time" is that it weighs about 100+ lbs. I would need an additional person to help take it off and storage is another issue. It's not like a truxedo fold away tonneau cover that I could take off when I wanted
    Last edited by AMac; 02-03-2012 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Wanted to reply w/ quotes

Master Mechanic

I was able to do some photoshop to get a better feel of how the truck would look. I would of course put some kind of tonneau cover on.

Name:	2.17.12_2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	34981

Name:	Truck without Cap.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	34982

Blog Entries

I'm also under 30 and love the looks of caps. As for hauling an ATV, you can find cheap trailers. I like being able to put my dogs in the bed of the truck and not worry about them jumping out and also being able to haul people without the dogs all over them or dog hair all over the interior, AND being able to have a dry place for my gear on unpredictable Montana weather. I don't think a topper makes a truck look like a 100 year old guy drives it, but I know some do.
    2005 Chevy Silverado W/T
    4X4|4.8 with some mods (has only slightly more pull than a 5.3)|Auto|4 door ex cab|Cooper Discoverer AT/3's in 285-75/17's on Helo 842's|Cooper Discover M+S 265-75/17's on Devino DV349's|Flowmaster 40 Single in Dual out with custom bent pipe from the end of the cats back|2" Procomp leveling kit|Custom made center console|Custom dyno tunes|Air Raid CAI|Air Raid Throttle Body Spacer|Apex brand topper|Kenwood Head Unit with Kenwood speakers|Painted mirrors/grille|Debadged except front emblem|Bilsteins front and rear
    Planned mods not in order
    2 inch lift|Custom front/rear bumper|hitch tire carrier|roof basket on topper, bars on cab|finish center console build|install Midland CB|Power options|Tint|Custom made raised bed in the bed of the truck|Lund LunarVisor
    Also have a 1992 Ford Ranger with a lot of stuff done to it. Currently waiting for a bit of a rebuild.

"The only woman I'm pimping from now on is Sweet Lady Propane. And I'm tricking her out all over this town."

honestly it looks good. i always called them campers but who cares lol. i like it. i would love to have one for my silverado just for the looks and so i can use it to haul my crap during rainy weather. i say its a keeper!
    1994 Silverado Z71 1500 4x4
    BF Goodrich 31in All-Terrain Tires
    Painted frame-arms-axle
    Blazer Fog lights
    Removed front splash guard
    Tow hook Chains
    Locking gas cap
    REFLEXXION Rear bumper (Painted black)
    Diamond metal bed caps & Truck Box
    Painted engine bay
    Vinyl Flooring
    Bed insert
    Blistein Shock absorbers
    BOSS bluetooth LCD Radio
    Platinum trucker CB antenna
    Midland 5001z CB Radio
    XO backup camera
    X-press Remote entry-alarm
    CUSTOM metal gas & brake pedal
    Highland fold-away bed cleats
    Race thermostat

I'm not big on caps, but it does look good on your truck AMac. Actually, the truck kinda looks naked in the pic without the cap. My vote would be to keep it
    "The best things in life aren't things"

2007 Chevy Silverado Classic 1500
    Ext Cab 4wd LT
    Check out my garage
    http://www.NStarWindow.com

Wow that's cool. Go back and forth between to two of them and it's like a now-you-see-it / now-you-don't.

I've had the "truck bed caps" or "canopy" or "topper" on trucks in the past before. Usually I see them on trucks where people have to use them to store larger valuables, but still need the flexibility of a truck and take it off from time to time. I guess the removal for 100lbs isn't something I would even blink at as I'd just either he-man it off or would work some type of system where I could back-up and store it when I need to haul something bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by AMac View Post
    I was able to do some photoshop to get a better feel of how the truck would look. I would of course put some kind of tonneau cover on.

Name:	2.17.12_2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	34981

Name:	Truck without Cap.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	34982

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Steve I was thinking if I had a topper on my truck that someone as crazy as myself would have some kinda winch system mounted to the ceiling in my garage & just store it up there Kinda like those bike lifts but alot tougher lol
    2007 Silverado RS, 4.8 V8, 2WD
    Flowmaster Super 44 with turndown
    Black painted front grille & bumper
    Black / red Painted bowties
    Black 18in. Silverado wheels
    Black / Red interior conversion (in process)
    89 Chevy Sport tribute decals

OK, I'm over 30, over 40 and almost @50. I like a hard trifold Tonneau covers. We go camping with the truck and the tonneau works fine. I think it is totally personal preference, or what you need for work or play. For a cap I do not like the ones that step up an additional 6 to 8 inches at the back, the style on your truck @AMac (same lines of the truck) works. That would be my preference.
    I had a cap on my first truck and ended up taking it off! Left it off! I prefer the folding vs. the solid as they are easy to fold or remove and store to have full access to the box. I've seen people with the solid tonneau and have something in the box and can't close it, looks funny IMHO.
    There shouldn't be ant damage to see as the rugger seal should be good. I has the bed rails coated with linex so no worries and you could do that if you had damage if you planned on a spray in bed liner.
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by