GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Yup Rocky Mountain Oysters. My son worked on a ranch in Nevada and every spring at branding time the rocky mountain oysters were the main entree
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    Ok I know what chittlins are. but you got me on sousemeat.
    I have enjoyed beef and pork tongue. In fact got a beef tongue just yesterday.
    Not familiar with the Polk salad.
    Love frog legs and goat meat as well as lamb. Goats milk is very good. Scrambled eggs and brain very good.Havent had for many years though.
    souse meat(pork) is the same as headcheese made from the flesh of the head of lamb,beef. souse meat is packaged and sold in grocery stores down here , hot peppered souse is real good with cheese and crackers . Polk Salad (Pokeweed ) grows all over the place side of the road, fields and woods , mom used to mix it with Collard greens , Kale or with scrambled eggs and bacon bits, works real good on your digestive system. Wikipedia can tell you more

Yup. went to search and found Polk is highly discouraged for human or animal consumption. Seems it is poisonous

Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    Yup. went to search and found Polk is highly discouraged for human or animal consumption. Seems it is poisonous
    The mature plants ,seeds and roots are toxic, pick the new 12" sprouts early spring

Oh I see. I talked to a friend in Georgia and she said they don't like souse meat, but she explained the similarity to head cheese

I havn't had any in years but it's real rich and greasy, alot of the stuff listed I had was being around grand pa and old folks out in the country in Mississippi, Missouri

Too bad we can't go back to those days and be grateful for what the Lord gave us and not waste so much edible products. Hard to even find Live and Onions on a menu these days. Used to be on all menus.

Kim-Chi, Korean sour kraut. Very good, but the whole countryside will smell like the stuff once you open the container.
    I miss liver and onions too. It's spelled Poke, I believe, and I have eaten that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
    Kim-Chi, Korean sour kraut. Very good, but the whole countryside will smell like the stuff once you open the container.
    I miss liver and onions too. It's spelled Poke, I believe, and I have eaten that too.
    spelled both ways polk and poke, but continue to monitor my post if in case I have entered wrong information and correct me, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jnbama View Post
    spelled both ways polk and poke, but continue to monitor my post if in case I have entered wrong information and correct me, thanks
    Hey, I sho ain'ta gonna pin nobody down on how us rednecks spells thaings. If'n we use somthin' close to "ainglish" it be good enuff.