GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default can a 4x8 plywood fit in the bed of a truck? if not, is it really a truck?

People usually get trucks for personal use for convenience to haul stuff when needed. The shorter the truck, the easier it is to get around stuff. But is it really a truck anymore? I remember when all you could get was 8ft beds. The idea is the you had 2x4x8's 4x8 plywood, etc.

Now an 8ft bed is a long bed, there is a 6.5ft "regular" bed and that tiny thing they put on 1500 crew cabs that really shouldn't be called a bed at all (and a Crew Cab with a 4ft bed looks really funny (length wise)). This is not to mention what ever the avalanche is suppose to represent, I mean...... Need an avalanche, go get a suburban. Need a truck, it has to come with an 8ft bed.

What do you think?

I agree, if you need a truck, then buy a truck, a real one.

An Avalanche is a poor sedan, a poor SUV, and a horrible truck.

And then there was the Dakota quad 4. Why?

Nak,
    Trying to peg a 'truck' as a vehicular object with an 8' bed is like trying to peg a 'knife' as a sharp object with a single edge. There are many knives with different blade configurations. Some have serrations. Some have two edges. Some have tools in the handle. So, too, it is with trucks -- there are many varieties, now. That's called progress and it allows people to pick the right tool to suit their needs.

Some people only need a 5.5" bed (the usual size on a crew cab) -- maybe for toting their dog kennels or putting things under the tonneau while towing a trailer with an ATV. These same people might need legitimate rear doors so they can put a kid in a car seat in the truck. Back in the days of only having 8' beds you didn't have piles of regulations for booster seats or children's car seats ... or even seat belt laws. So things have changed ... and impacted the vehicular tools people choose to suit new needs.

The same is true of an avalanche -- it may be adequate as a 4-door truck that can carry little things while sealed up .. with the occasional ability to haul 8' thingd by opening the mid-gate ... on days where it's not snowing/raining, of course.

Just some food for thought...
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 02-05-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Nak,
    I agree with some of what your are saying. I would like an 8 foot bed on a half ton crew. But it isn't available to my knowledge. Whie an extended has the option very few are produced. And the wait time i far too long unless your planning took place months in advance.
    Same with gear ratio's, very little selection these days from the lot and a long wait from the MFg.
    Many configurations come about from a think tank of many individuals of different backgrounds ad yes the inclusion of females most likely brought the Avalanche and other "strange' designs to us truck enthusiasts.

Kinda like the white house sometimes people make bad decisions and then the est of us have to live with it for a period of time. Hopefully just 4 years in this last case. What were the electoral college people thinking. Oh that is correct , they Weren't!
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

Quote Originally Posted by Coach24 View Post
    I would like an 8 foot bed on a half ton crew. But it isn't available to my knowledge.
    You have to go to a 2500 HD to get an option for a crew cab with a long box...

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    You have to go to a 2500 HD to get an option for a crew cab with a long box...
    When I replace my current truck, I want a Crew Cab/ 8ft bed so I can lock the gate with 4x8 items in the bed and not leave it down. And the crew cab for expensive stuff that can't be in the bed ( and People that would be with me) so I don need a 2500, but that requirement puts me in one.

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    When I replace my current truck, I want a Crew Cab/ 8ft bed so I can lock the gate with 4x8 items in the bed and not leave it down. And the crew cab for expensive stuff that can't be in the bed ( and People that would be with me) so I don need a 2500, but that requirement puts me in one.
    Yes it does, at least with GM trucks. Surrealone validated my recollecion on the 1500 with long bed. Thanks S.

i agree with your comments except that concerning the avalanche? have any of you hauled anything in an avalanche? from where i am from it is inconvenient in the winter months of course, but it is still a 5 foot bed that can be converted to 8 with the rear seat and window down. i have fit a ton of stuff in an avalanche and have no complaints with my fathers, and yeah with the rear seat down you can fit an 8x4 piece of plywood.
    2002 silverado ext. loaded white 4x4

Is that 8X4 metric measurements or standard measure?

standard, we still do feet up here......for wood

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by