GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default Outer portion of tires getting eaten

I got some Goodyear Duratracs about 8-9 months ago. I noticed about 2 months ago that my front tires were wearing horribly on the outer portion of both sides. A friend of mine has the same tires on his F150 (crew cab), he's had them 6 moths longer, and his show less wear and know he puts more miles on his truck as well. His truck is all stock with the exception of a leveling kit and the tires. Mine is a Silverado (crew cab) on a 6" Fabtech. I took my truck to the mechanic and had my inner and outer tie rod ends replaced (they were bad) and alignment done to factory specs, and tires rotated. I contacted a Fabtech tech and they told me that the Fabtech lifts are designed so alignments are the same specs as factory. Anyways, I have had my truck back about 3 weeks and can see that my front tires are continuing to wear faster than I would expect. I've noticed that the wear seems to be a little worse on the outer portion of the left tire than the right.

I'm confident that my alignment and other work that was done to my vehicle was done correctly but I dont understand why my tires are wearing so quickly still. The only thing I can say is maybe I need to slow down and not take turns so hard. My logic behind this is that since my left outer tire is wearing faster than the right and that the majority of turns made while driving are right hand turns that this may put more strain and cause more friction on the left tire as it is bearing more weight and under more stress.

Any input would be appreciated. These are some expensive ass tires and it kills me to know that I'm wearing them out faster than I can afford to replace them.

Bump...need some opinions bro's.

Legend

Blog Entries

Usually ther are only two reasons that this would happen. One is an alignment and the other can be from improper tire inflation. My guess is the alignment is off.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

2nd that^.

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger cheater bar.

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 "Vortec" | Spectre "Cold Air Intake" | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tail Lights | Denali headlights | Grill Mounted Fog Lights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/70/16 Futura Scramblers | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers 2N1O | Mostly stock-ish
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Transmission Fluid cooler | Paint (Halfway there)| Interior Restoration/Upgrade with newer model parts | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations (68% Done) | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    CVN-69 "IKE-ATRAZ" AIR/V-2 Gear Dawgs

I had posted previously on inflation questions for my tires. When I got them installed, America's Tire inflated them to 50psi. This sounded high and I lowered to 42psi. This way my alert on my dash went away. I was under the impression that 50psi was more for if I was hauling or towing heavy loads. I'm thinking of inflating them back up to 50psi to see if it helps. Couldn't hurt right?

This is frustrating. My expensive tires are getting eaten every time I drive.

If your tires were underinflated they would be wearing on both the inner and outter edges. When overinflated they would wear down the center. I think you have an alignment issue.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alignment.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	34211
    Hopefully you guys can see this image. Its the alignment report that Wheel Works gave me. Does this info help anyone troubleshoot my issue?

I talked to a tech at fabtech today and he helped troubleshoot the issue. Basically, I may be driving my truck too hard. I tend to drive it like a car, even on turns. Seing as hOw it's a full size, crew cab, lifted vehicle it may just be that the way I drive is real hard on my tires. I don't really have anything else that it could be so I'm slowing way down on turns and hopefully that slows the wear and tear down some.

Duratracs are Wranglers I presume? I wanted to get some on my truck but my dad steered me away from them. Said they don't last long if driven on hard.

I just posted a thread about having the exact opposite problem.. ridiculous wear on the INSIDE.. but my truck is currently at a stock height and the only answer that i can come up with myself (and the tire shop agrees) is that the TOE is off (outward) and i need an alignment. seeing as your truck is lifted i can see the driving habits being an issue, but wouldnt rule out the TOE (inward in your case) could be an issue.

If this has already been mentioned i didnt see it, and i apologize and disregard this post haha

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by