GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 99 Suburban tires

What are the best type and brand tires for winter highway driving with some snow?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by cdmax View Post
    What are the best type and brand tires for winter highway driving with some snow?
    A lot of opinions can be had, this is mine! I live out on Long Island in NY, we can get the full range of snow and ice. For many years I used full blown snow tires but found them to be very bad on ice, a friend recommended the Michlien LT's all seasons. The are great on ice and surprisingly good in the snow, they are on my 97 two drive sub with posi. Hope that helps with your thoughts, and yes I will put a set on my 02 that I just bought.

Phil
    Happy 2 Wheeler!

A lot of people have differing opinions. I think a lot depends on what conditions you expect to see. What does "Highway driving with some snow" mean? How much snow how often? Are the roads you will see cleared well? Are you seeing mostly powdered snow when you see it, or does it stay on the roads long enough to pack down and turn to ice?

My dad and father-in-law swear by studded snow tires. Are studded snow tires legal where you're driving? Is the "winter" season long enough to justify the expense? Personally, I haven't been able to justify the expense, when I do just fine in the snow with my year round tires.

Me and a friend of mine have both been impressed with Cooper tires in the snow. I've had mixed success with Good Year made tires (some have done well and some have done poorly). I've ran one set of Yokohama made tires that were good in the snow early in their life, but have gotten to be pretty slick in their old age. The Dunlop Mud Rovers I put on my Explorer have done a lot better than I expected an MT to do.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Legend

I haven't driven in the snow ice in awhile. Canadian born but currently residing in New Orleans. I know most people were using the BFG All Terrains they handle the snow and ice very well. Expensive yes but sometimes you get what you pay for and with tires, thats usually true.

I'd have to give huge winter kudos to Michelin LTX M/S. There on my work van and Sierra. Real dear in price though.

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E

General grabber AT2 $109 a tire and great rain and mud traction.
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Cableguy View Post
    I'd have to give huge winter kudos to Michelin LTX M/S. There on my work van and Sierra. Real dear in price though.
    Ditto I run the same ones, they do not look very aggressive but will surprise most. Exceptional on ice, decent in fairly deep snow, I read it is the stipes in the tread. More edges grip better on ice, an aggressive tread is better when things get tough. When it is bad, I don't go out unless it is important.
    Happy 2 Wheeler!