GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by moogvo
    As long as you are using good quality shielded cable, you can run 'em side by side all day without any problems. Besides, DC doesn't generate much in the way of RFI... only when you have a problem with the diodes in the Alternator which will cause it to start making AC power...

My qualifications: Upfitter/installer for emergency services vehicle communications and warning lighting systems: Fire trucks, police cars, ambulances, etc.
    Completely correct. As far as who I can use as a source, which book would you like me to pull it out of, besides that, harmonic distortion levels based on the strength of a magnetic field are calculated via formula and measured via amp clamp. I stand a good chance of winning some SQC comps this year, my rcas are run RIGHT next to my 1/0 my system feed, zero harmonic distortion .

Default Shielded Cable

Moogo: I agree if you have properly shielded cable you can run it side by side with power cables. There are situations where you can't avoid putting it next to power cabling.

Zig: Any authoritative text, with proper citation will do. Give the Library of Congress info with it.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

http://www.magnetic-shield.com/faq/interference.html. Without scanning a book page (can't source it online) here is an online source you can read for yourself. AC fields create/cause interference, not DC. You still won't believe me but it's cool.

P.S. read about how you can't technically "shield" a magnetic field.

OK, I just looked at what you provided. That link does not provide authority for what you are saying. You have training, I assume, to give you a fund of knowledge in this area. So give me a book a professor has used or cited where you are going to school. Or cite a law of physics or something else.

Unless you are going to add "reading minds" to your list of qualifications, don't try to guess what I am thinking or will think.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

I'll post in a pm

The one thing I have had problems with is RCAs running near any computer related modules. There is one in the kick panel on the passenger side in my truck that gave me fits...finally had to move the cable away from it. Didnt seem to matter on what shielded cable we used.

GMTruckClub members receive discounts off our normal rates! PM me for quotes! Check out our Films gallery - updated with over 200 Hydro Dip films!

If it can be painted - it can be Hydro Dipped!

Get the Gorilla!

gorilladip.com

sales@gorilladip.com

Electronic modules can be a bear for audio, video and communications gear. Some of them pulse, some of them generate high amounts of RF. those that generate RF also generate harmonics and are not very well suppressed by the factory. Sometimes ya just gotta find a different route or add some electronic suppression of your own.
    "It went together didn't it? Well then there has to be a way to take it apart!" - Me.

Check out my image gallery HERE.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." ~Samuel Johnson (1709-1784)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12