GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation Roadside Alternator Swap!

PITSTOP IN POMONA!
    60 miles from home and I had to make a roadside repair. Coming off the freeway, I slowed and heard what sounded like the dreaded power steering grind. I pulled over and whipped the hood open and there was a distinct odor of something burning. Unable to isolate the source of the smoke and grinding, I grabbed the throttle and blipped it. A puff of smoke and chunks came flying out of the alternator. The voltmeter was at 12vdc and sinking and the little red "no charge" indicator was lit. Drove to the nearest parts store that happened to be a Kragen's. I bought the Autolite Premium alternator for $150 that is new and not a reman. I didn't have any tools on board so I bought a $20 set of combo wrenches and had us back on the road in 30 minutes. Pics included for effect.

Reminds me of some of the late night flogging we used to do to get the race car ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Burb_alt2.5.JPG   Burb_alt3.5.JPG  
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Nothing quite like a little roadside repair. I think we've all done that.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Nothing quite like a little roadside repair. I think we've all done that.
    True that! On several hunting trips we have had to replace everything from brake lines, alternators, radiators, to transfer cases.

This photo is of the tranfer case out my Buddy's 89 Suburban after backing into a stump. He ran for parts in the morning and we did the swap at deer camp.

Darcy
    Washington State
    2006 Silverado 2500HD LT3 4X4 CC SB Duramax LBZ
    Tuff Country 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/T's on 20" Ultra Peacemaker wheels, Quadzilla Stealth2 programmer, Diamond Eye 5" cat-back exhaust, factory Special order color Yellow.

What everyone else said...It sucks losing the alt on the way home, or anything else for that matter. And it always seems to occur when you're having the most fun, or the most happy, just to anny the hell outta you. Glad you got through it fine with no snags.

EDIT: any autopsy report as to what happened to the alternator?
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 265K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

haha I've seen engine swaps done by throwing a winch cable over a tree branch. Actually worked too!
    Dan
    1999 GMC Sierra 2500 350 vortec
    1967 Jeep M725 ambulance 230 tornado
    1990 Cherokee Limited- 3 inch lift on 33's
    ...and every one of em has issues

If you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to send me or any other GMTC moderators a PM

Yeah, another time was back when I was dating the wife. The alternator light came on so I pulled over and popped the hood. When I saw the busted fan belt I casually walked to the passenger side of the car and knocked on the window. I asked her to take off her pantyhose and she had that "What you wanna do something here on the side of the road?" look on her face. She was a bit relieved when I explained that I just needed to jury rig a fan belt. Back on the road in minutes and turned into the driveway of the first motel! lol
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Nice with the panty hose, lol. No luck there now days girls done wear those as often, lol. And thats why i love my chevy truck. Almost everything can be changed in a matter of minutes and with little effort. And being a Tech i LOVE it when a chevy comes in with a seized compressor, alternator, or even p/s pumps. Alls i see is $$$. lol
    2005 Chevy Silverado - Bright orange, 4.8L, 2wd, reg cab, short bed, Stock for now. :glasses:
    1967 Ford Mustang - Coupe, 200ci 6cyl w/minor upgrades, Stereo, Wheels, Interior, All other stock. White. First car and love her.

Former cars.
    1967 Ford Mustang - Coupe, 302 race prep, one bad ass car but she met her maker at the track :erf:
    1997 Ford Mustang Cobra - All stock, caused to much trouble with her. Well thats what the cops kept saying so i had to get rid of her.:grrrrrr: