GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blowing Ignition Fuses!!!!

Just finished putting a rebuilt 4L60E Transmission into my 99 Suburban double checked everything jumpped in turned the key and nothing!!!!Found a blown fuse at IGN A 40 changed it out and it blew again. checke dthe starter and no cracked wires blew it again.

The running lights come on and the dash lights up no problem with a new fuse. Raido, fan, all dash light work when a new fuse is put in. Turn the key to START and the fuse blows. running lights go off but everything else is fine.

Any suggestions???

Found it!!! After putting the tranny in, I missed one top nut, unfortunately, it was the one the grounds the electrics. Did it up
    nice and tight and she went like a trooper! ....Until, 3 kms later and it stopped dead on the road. no blown fuse this time but smoke pouring out from the starter!!! WTF? anyone know why this would happen???

Are you sure it's the starter and not some trans fluid leaking out?
    That starter shouldn't have any power to it once the engine starts.

yes, the smoke was coming out of the small tube at the rear of the starter and it was also very hot to the touch, I had to wait 20 minutes before I could handle it. There was some smoke from the pipes as it burned off the trans fluid that was on my hands during the install, but this was a starter issue.

The cog on the starter is able to slip up and down the shaft freely and once I took it of and rested it on the frame, I had a buddy turn the keyi was underneath and saw that it had power when the key turned (clicking). I gave it a light tap with a shifter and as I did it sparked where it was touching the frame! after that it seems there is no power there, no sparks and no clicking

Is it possible the starter wasnt aligned correctly on the flywheel causing it to hang up and forcing it to keep spinning with the engine which heated it up?

That is what i was thinking but is that even possible to do?

I believe this is the problem i am now having. Should this turn out to be the situation, what will have happened to the wires conecting to the starter? I havent blown a fuse (very hard to buy the big ones here) but could the wire harness be toast or will the cook up be contained to the starter?

If the starter has no power to it from the wiring it should isolate the damage to just the starter.

Sweet! I ordered a new one last night so it should be here tomorrow!

Pete you near Atsugi? I spent alot of time during 2003/04 in Atsugi. Nice place to visit, wish I would have had more time to explore Tokyo and the surrounding area.

Pretty cllose. I live in Hachioji and have a second house in the Japan Alps. Are you still military? I was Australian Army a long time ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast