GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default lift help needed. rear blocks with add a leafs?? 89 Blazer 4"

Going to lift the 89 Blazer 4". I am getting components, and not a lift "kit" possibly, so I had a question. I was wanting to replace the rear springs since they are original, and have some sag. But those are pricey, so I was thinking of blocks and add a leaf for a little help. Has anybody done that? Any advice on add a leaf type that I should use?

Thanks
    Mark
    89 K Blazer 4" lift 35x12.5x15, warn hubs, cut out flares. Soon to have headers, posi carriers, gears.
    2000 K2500 Crew Cab 5.7 285/75R16's. 3" Body lift. Suspension parts being ordered.
    Lots more to do on both the trucks

And a bunch of fast Buicks

An add a leaf can be done. Doing so will stiffen up the ride a bit. A block could be used. The best way to get the desired lift is to add a new spring pack, but as you said it is a bit pricey. I haven't looked in a while but a full kit for that era truck isn't really all that much compared to the price of modern kits. If you want the lift with the best ride quality I would say get new springs.

Thanks for the post.
    I know rear springs would be best, but may go with blocks for now. Add a leaf would be used to get an extra inch from the old springs to keep it level. New rear springs are $350 to $500 for a pair.

Have you priced having the factory springs rearched?
    This isnt a popular method now but in the days before we had so many aftermarket shops and manufacturers it was popular.
    AAL's will give you the lift your looking for but wiith the weight of your truck theres a few problems that you should be aware of:
    1-with an AAL and a block you'll get increased wheel hop and traction will suffer
    2-AAL's stress out the leaf springs and tend to crack them just past the end of the AAL on the forward edge, requiring you to buy new leafs anyways.
    3-Blocks are rough on the shackle bushings and wear them out fast.

I'm not a fan of blocks, I've seen to many failures on the trails that were caused by them, or by not maintaning them properly, i.e. checking the torque religiously every couple thousand miles. If you do use blocks make sure their solid blocks and make sure you complete maintenance on the bolts regularly. I know blocks are a cheap and easy method to get lift but they come with some pitfalls too.
    In a perfect world you could afford to buy replacement lift springs and pitch out the idea of using blocks.
    Have you tried searching craigslist in your area for somebody selling truck parts or parting out a lifted truck? I know around here theres always someone parting out their mosnster truck project you cen get the parts off of cheap.

Thanks Tim. I have searched Craigslist, but I live in the middle of nowhere, so there has not been anything.

I will be going to rear springs on the lift. No blocks. I found a deal I think I can swing.

Good idea for the new springs. Add-a-leafs on saggy springs will leave you with the same uneven spring tension, only up higher.

We finished it Sunday, and mounted the tires yesterday. Rolling good now.