GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question I'm at a loss for what to do next, please help!

Hey guys,

I've got a 2003 Silverado 1500HD 4x4. I've had a wobble at around 45 mph for a while now and cant seem to find the fix. My bed wobbles but it seems like its in the whole truck. I've also got a quick vibration, kind of like the front end shudders when accelerating from 0-15 mph, then it goes away with speed. Another symptom, is that there is a clicking noise coming from the front end when I'm around 5-15 mph.

I've noticed when I jack my truck up and spin both front tires, the cv axle shaft doesn't spin in a clean circle, if that makes any sense. It kind of wobbles a bit, and it seems like the clicking could come from there.

Fixes I've tried so far. I had my carrier bearing replaced (it was in rough shape), rear drive shaft u-joints are new, I just got some new tires, and I just installed new hub bearings on both front wheels.

The new bearings were definitely needed, it took a lot of noise/vibrations out of the truck, but the quick/sharp vibrations on acceleration are still there, and the wobble is still there.

I'm looking to see if someone knows where to look next. I don't feel like taking it in to a mechanic if I don't have to. I have the tools necessary to fix things. I was reading somewhere that the rotors could cause some of what I'm experiencing?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by wsucougs18 View Post
    Hey guys,

I've got a 2003 Silverado 1500HD 4x4. I've had a wobble at around 45 mph for a while now and cant seem to find the fix. My bed wobbles but it seems like its in the whole truck. I've also got a quick vibration, kind of like the front end shudders when accelerating from 0-15 mph, then it goes away with speed. Another symptom, is that there is a clicking noise coming from the front end when I'm around 5-15 mph.

I've noticed when I jack my truck up and spin both front tires, the cv axle shaft doesn't spin in a clean circle, if that makes any sense. It kind of wobbles a bit, and it seems like the clicking could come from there.

Fixes I've tried so far. I had my carrier bearing replaced (it was in rough shape), rear drive shaft u-joints are new, I just got some new tires, and I just installed new hub bearings on both front wheels.

The new bearings were definitely needed, it took a lot of noise/vibrations out of the truck, but the quick/sharp vibrations on acceleration are still there, and the wobble is still there.

I'm looking to see if someone knows where to look next. I don't feel like taking it in to a mechanic if I don't have to. I have the tools necessary to fix things. I was reading somewhere that the rotors could cause some of what I'm experiencing?

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    The irregular movement of the CV joint was not a clue? Take it to a mechanic before you need a whole hub. Those things are a PITA and should be replaced in pairs. One broken one means the other is about to be broken.
    Last edited by Dana W; 02-11-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Well when I took it to the mechanic they said nothing about it, focusing on just the wheel bearings. I assumed they knew what they were talking about because that's their profession, but when I took it home and spun the wheel it looked odd to me. I'll have another mechanic check it out, thanks for the reply.

Well when I took it to the mechanic they said nothing about it, focusing on just the wheel bearings. I assumed they knew what they were talking about because that's their profession, but when I took it home and spun the wheel it looked odd to me. I'll have another mechanic check it out, thanks for the reply.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound so harsh. I was just a little surprised that you seemed like you thought the CV may not be an issue.

The clicking sound at low speed is almost certainly the CV joint, and the fact that it is sorta out of joint is pretty much the signature of the angel of joint death. Maybe this mechanic doesn't really understand IFS. On the other hand though, I have changed CV half shafts (don't rebuild) and I would rather set my hair on fire and sing Midnight Cowboy naked in the middle of my cul'd'sac at high noon. Maybe that mechanic feels the same way?

No worries haha. You think the loose axle could cause my sharp vibrations on acceleration? Also a wobble at speeds around 45?

No worries haha. You think the loose axle could cause my sharp vibrations on acceleration? Also a wobble at speeds around 45?
    Pretty sure it can make the vibration since the cv shaft is visually wonky. Especially if you have 4wd engaged. Did you watch the cv shaft turn while the wheels were pointing straight ahead or turned to one side or the other. While the wheels are turned off center, there might be a little bit of odd movement in the shafts even if they are good to go. They are like U joints in function with more ability to deal with steep shaft to joint angles. Are the rubber boots OK?

The best bet is to get a mechanic to check them out. A good mechanic will find the source of your noise without replacing everything BUT what is broken first.

I agree with Dana. The clicking noise is most likely the cv's. Is your truck lifted? I have had issues in the past with drive line vibrations at speed on a jeep I owned. The issue was that the angle of both ends of the drive shaft have to be close. So, if your truck has a crazy amount of lift it may cause your angles to be outta whack.

It has a 6" lift with a 2 piece drive shaft. I had the u joints replaced but the guy didnt seem worried about the angle.