GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Bolt on exhaust and warranty

Morning,
    I just added a CORSA cat-back system= love it. QUESTION: I need to go in for a few rattles and that excessive noise allowed in from the cab vents we all chat about. IS MY AFTERMARKET SYSTEM GOING TO ALLOW THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT TO VOID OR HASSLE ME ABOUT MY OVERALL WARRANTY??? My truck is a 2011 silverado with 11,000 miles on it.

2011 1500 Silverado LT, 4x4/Z71
    K&N, Chrome Nerfs, Run Lucas Oil fuel treatment,
    DB-CORSA cat-back system (received). :great:

Only if they can prove that the exhaust caused the warranty issues.

________2013 4C Rated__________

Legend

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure that they are going to give you the runaround that the exhaust is the reason for excessive cabin noise. Same reason I haven't taken mine in for noise when I'm running 35" Nitto trail grapplers. The 1st thing they will say is it's the tires. If you want a perfectly quiet cabin you probably shouldn't do mods that inherently make the vehicle loader overall. Just my 2 cents.

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

I agree with Red. It shouldn't void your warranty. But they will most likely give you a run around about the noise because of the louder exhaust.

I understand the noise from the exhaust...even before just seems like the passenger rear window slightly open (but is closed tight) and I hear tire or road noise from that cabin vent.

X2.....on what ajarman has mentioned above.......and here is some more Information Regarding G.M./Chevy's Warranty and the Magnuson Act,

From the Magnuson Act........Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.....This is illegal.

Link to the Magnuson Act,
    http://www.impalaclub.com/naisso/magmoss.htm

.....From G.M/Chevy Web Site......An Important Note about Alterations and Warranties
    Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by General Motors are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.

Link to G.M./Chevy Web Site(Warranty)
    http://www.chevrolet.com/owners/warranty/

As also Mentioned above, the Dealer can make it difficult, if they want to........it really Depends on each Dealership on how they want to handle the issue......

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Anyone had issues taking their under warranty truck in with aftermarket exhaust on??

If they start giving you the run around ask them if their familiar with the Magnuson Moss Warranty act.
    We had a minor issue with my wifes HHR that she took the car in for and the first thing they tried to do was say the car wasnt covered by warranty any more because we'd modified it by putting a Magna Flow Muffler and custom lowering springs on, I went back and asked them how this warranty denial worked with Magnussen Moss and man did they quickly jump through hoops to get things fixed. Not that we've had to get much warranty work done since then but we've had no problems since then when we asked about warranty work.
    Some dealers have to be put on notice that you know your rights and your not afraid to speak up if need be. Remember warranty work doesnt pay the dealership as good as customer paid work, they make a lower hourly and usually no parts percentage from warranty.
    Then sometimes you get dealers that are happy to have work to keep the guys in the shop busy and employed and they dont care if it's warranty or customer paid.

sorry, but what is the Magnussen Moss ? thanks

The U.S. Federal Goverments Warranty act, kind of a standard manufacturers are required to operate under regarding motor vehicles and warranty coverage.