GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2006 Silverado LT 4x4 problems

I have a 2006 Silverado LT 5.3L and just recently I'm getting problems with the 4 wheel drive.

Every time I start the truck the 4 Hi light is on leaving me to believe the 4 wheel drive isn't engaging and disengaging properly. If I put it in AUTO 4WD and then turn it off and start it back on it stays in AUTO 4WD. It also will not go into 4 Lo as the light blinks for about 15 seconds and then just stops or if it's in AUTO 4WD the light blinks and then stays lit on 4 Hi. I don't think it is in 4 wheel drive, but if I put it in neutral and then attempt to go into 4 Hi the truck will drive around with heavy vibrations especially while turning. I am not a type of person who goes mudding a lot, but recently I had to help a friend get unstuck in heavy mud so I believe that may have caused a problem, although it started to happen about 4 days after I got him unstuck.

Unimportant information, but I am only 18 years old and probably would not be able to afford taking it to a dealer to get it fixed. I do however work in a classic muscle/racecar shop so I have an availability of tools and staff to help me out, but they just don't know enough about 4 wheel drive to give me the proper help I need.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Sounds like either the transfer switch or front axle switch is stuck so when the truck starts it thinks it is in 4wd.. i would start there anyhow. You can pull them out, and switch from 4hi to auto 4 and 2wd and see how the switches react (if there is no movement from either there is a good possibility that the actual dash switch is going bad)
    I would start there and let us know how that goes.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Thanks for helping Murdog,

I just got off of work and I was checking out the switches you mentioned. I also checked every fuse to make sure they were good, and checked to see if perhaps something got stuck. So far my results are that my truck is now in AUTO 4WD and there isn't no result when trying to shift into 2 Hi, 4 Hi, or 4 Lo, the light will blink for several seconds and remain in AUTO 4WD.

I also asked around several people including our local body repair shop, and some of my co-workers. The man at the body shop said it could have a problem with "the hubs not being properly vacuumed"? Not exactly sure what it meant and I have tried searching online, and when I brought it up with a co-worker he said only Fords have vacuums for the 4WD. Another thought someone brought up was that my module may have went out.

I would like to attempt checking everything out underneath, and if it is needed then opening up the transfer case. Which I am honestly not too familiar with.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Alright it sounds like the module could be bad (fords dont use vaccum either ive owned both brands and they havent since 1996). I would actually start by troubleshooting the transfer case encoder motor (i believe that is the correct term) it sounds like it is stuck. then go from there.
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Sorry for the two week reply, I've been saving up money and been busy with school lately all the while trying my best to figure out what's wrong. I believe you're correct on it being the transfer case encoder motor, because I talked to my Dad about it and he said he replaced it once at 50k miles (currently at 140k) and I was concerned that should I replace the transfer case encoder motor or the encoder motor sensor? Or both? If there is a possible recommendation on how to check to see if the encoder motor is still good that would be awesome. It used to not be able to to shift into 4 LO but after putting it in neutral and switching from 4 HI to 4 LO it is now stuck in 4 LO and I can't seem to get it back into AUTO 4WD, 2 HI, or 4 HI. Would it be plausible to un-plug the encoder motor until I can receive a replacement? Thank you for your time.

as u crank--when all the buttons light up--hit the auto 4 button--this has worked for me--as u start driving--about 20 or so hit 2 wheel button--when u get a chance--take the switch out (selector on the dash)--spray(ELECTRICAL CLEANER) real well the connectors and buttons--check ur buttons real well--mash then many times--this has worked for me in the past--04 Z 71---u can always unhook both battery cables and let truck sit 30-45-60 mins or so--when i changed-new- battery last week--let sit over nite--no 4 wheel light come on--everything seems to be liked brand new for now--not sure why or how, but everything works..maybe some of this will help--hope so