GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Oil drain plug crush washers

Last oil change I noticed that my crush washer was spent, it was also made of either a card-board-ish material or, a rubber type that had swelled and soaked in a bunch of oil and literally crumbled to bits, resembling soaked cardboard.

Can anyone give me a source locally or online for these crush washers? I was thinking autozone/napa but i dont have a specific size and when you go looking for washers/gaskets they typically have a section with generic displays which are only useful if u know what size ur looking for.

Does anyone have this specific data for type/size of crush washer to use on drain bolt (or if one is even necessary? it could've been added by mistake)

Legend

my 2000 has the OEM drain plug no washer. the drain plug is a magnet and has a rubber seal built in ..

I would get a proper drain plug from the dealership with the magnet and seal .. I never had any drain plug problems with this type.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    my 2000 has the OEM drain plug no washer. the drain plug is a magnet and has a rubber seal built in ..

I would get a proper drain plug from the dealership with the magnet and seal .. I never had any drain plug problems with this type.
    x2 on that. This is my 3rd 5.3L and everyone of them has had the same drain plug as J-cat described, with a rubber seal built into the flange on the head of the plug. mine looks like this
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._107204_13140_

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    x2 on that. This is my 3rd 5.3L and everyone of them has had the same drain plug as J-cat described, with a rubber seal built into the flange on the head of the plug. mine looks like this
    http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._107204_13140_
    ok i need to double check that but according to the shape, mine is NOT oem, thanks for the info i'll be looking into getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowtied View Post
    ok i need to double check that but according to the shape, mine is NOT oem, thanks for the info i'll be looking into getting one.
    x3 on what jcat and pikey said. My 2001 has an OE drain plug like they described. If yours is not OE, then I would replace it with one that is.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Or just forget ever having to deal with the drain plug again and get a Fumoto drain valve. Have used them for over a decade and put one on my 2013 5.3L at the first oil change. Less mess. Just lift and twist the lever and drain the oil.
    2013 Silverado 1500 LT Z-71 Crew. 5.3L Auto. Range AFM Delete, PCV Catch Can, RC Leveling kit, Dynomax Ultra Flo cat back, Airaid M.I.T.

2013 Freightliner Columbia. pre-EGR Detroit 12.7L 500 hp 1850 lb torque, 18 speed.