GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question Oil Leak 1999 Silverado 2500

I have noticed a very small oil leak on the ground after I park my truck for a short while. It is not a very big spot, but in any case it is definitely an oil leak. I checked the oil drain plug to make sure that it was tight and it was. Any suggestions on where else I might check? Also, should the oil drain plug have a metal gasket around it? Thanks.

It should and there should be a O ring around it too. I have the same problem and I have replaced the O ring multiple times with no improvements. Probably the main seal thats giving me the headache and that might be your problem too since its an old truck.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

Legend
    Blog Entries

I second the rear main seal.. which after time with the Gms wears and seeps some oil
    Mike

Currently

1997 Chevy S-10 Blazer 4X4 with 330K miles and counting (Hunting rig).

2009 Saturn Aura XE (wifes car)

2011 F-150 Crew 4X4

"Hold it to the floor till you see God.... Then Brake!!!!"

Is there a definitive way to tell if is the rear main seal or any other seal? Can you just look at it and tell?

What are some estimates for replacing the rear main oil seal on a 1999 Silverado 2500, 6.0 engine?

San Angelo most of the time, Houston at others

I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets bad. Besides, are you sure the truck isn't "marking it's territory" lol
    1998 K1500 Suburban
    1977 Chevelle Malibu

"I'm proud to defend your right to be an idiot!" From a friend in the military.

Default Another possible cause

I had a small oil leak from my 1993 K1500 5.7 when I had it in for service I asked if they try to find the source for me .
    The diagnosis was that the rear main was leaking a little bit but nothing serious , Common problem on high mileage vehicles
    like mine. Less than a week later while at work one of my co-workers asked me what was leaking from my pickup, said
    it had left a trail from the highway to where it was parked (3 blocks) . I went to investigate thinking I'd find a big puddle
    of whatever it was but all I found was where the trail ended and it was oil . Checked the oil level it was 3 quarts low .
    Put some oil in and started it up looked under the truck and found oil gushing from between the block and the oil filter adapter.
    $5.00 for the gasket . could have been $5000.00 for another old truck .