GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default from stock to lifted

Hello i have a 2003 chevy 1500 ext cab 4x4 all stock
    i wanted to put on a 6 inch lift with 33 in tires if i put all that on would there be anything else i would have to do so that my truck could handle all that? like differential or axles? or what about gears?
    thanks a lot!

You'll want a programmer to compensate for the speedo error you introduce with the larger diameter tires. You'll want to beef up the brakes because bigger diameter tires translate to fewer revolutions across a given distance than smaller ones, which results in less opportunity for your brakes to do their jobs in that distance. (i.e. Beef up your brakes, increase following distance, or both!)

You might consider regearing (both front and rear diffs; you have to do both if you regear since you have a 4x4) to handle the bigger, heavier tires -- because depending on your current gear ratio the truck may feel like a dog off the line ... and may well downshift on mild inclines at highway speed (where it doesnt, today). You'll need a tuner that can tell the truck you have different gear ratios if you choose to regear ... else you'll have idiot lights on.

And last, a custom tune -- to recover some of the mpg you'll lose due to the mods you're making.
    Last edited by SurrealOne; 07-15-2012 at 08:08 PM.

Everything that man ^ said is true.

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment
    US Navy Sailor :sign0011:

I would agree with what @SurrealOne said. The thing I would suggest is to either go with a 4" lift for the 33's or go with 35's if you get the 6". I say that because for me the 33's will look small with the 6" lift. just my 2 cent.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

I tend to agree with @aloxdaddy99 on the sizing; 33's w/ 4" or 35's with 6" is about spot-on in terms of them looking 'proper'.

Ok now I agree with them two ^ ^^

If at first you don't succeed, chances are, you are using too small of a cheater bar

Current:
    1999 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 | 5.3 Vortec | Spectre Cold Air Intake | TransDapt TBS | Hypertech 30005 Tune | 2005 Chevy Tails | Denali headlights | AWS Bug Shield | 265/75/16 Mastercraft Courser A/T | "Ghetto" painted tailgate | Boss HD Speakers | 2005 Overhead Console | Dual Thrush Turbo Mufflers
    Future:
    Bigger Amp Alternator | Electric Fans | Oil/Trans Fluid cooler | Re-done exhaust | Paint | Interior Restoration/upgrade with newer model stuff | Window Visors (In channel) | Tint | Low-Profile Tool Box | LEDs throughout stock cab locations | And whatever is spurr of the moment

exactly what the 2 above said is the best thing to do, i definitely agree with the 6" and 35s or 4" and 33s, it gives it the proportional look instead of the "cencal" look. but this is just my opinion tho as well.

2010 Silverado Z71

Kyle-USAF-MI/VA

"Fueled by Haters"

TCS front box 7"-9" set at 8.5" | FTS coilovers(blue coil) with resis and FTS shocks with resis| 20" Fuel Off-Road Revolver Rims | 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers | Halo Projector Head Lights by Recon- Black | Led Taillights by Recon- Smoked | Dumped Straight pipe | Volant CAI | Ranch Hand Front Bumper | DiabloSport Trinity Programmer | Tow Mirrors with Turn Signal | Cervinis Ram-Air hood | 4.56 USA gears with tru trac locker | Longshot Lighting 6000k 55w low beam and 6000k 35w fogs HIDs | 7" lift leaf spring | Blue TCS traction bars

Future Mods: Long tube headers
    | Custom tune | Cam | Stall Converter

Quote Originally Posted by sfdefender24 View Post
    exactly what the 2 above said is the best thing to do, i definitely agree with the 6" and 35s or 4" and 33s, it gives it the proportional look instead of the "cencal" look. but this is just my opinion tho as well.
    Holy hell you're back. Good to hear from ya. Not to hijack but how's Afghan?

Current:
    Future:

Quote Originally Posted by rileyjr16 View Post
    Holy hell you're back. Good to hear from ya. Not to hijack but how's Afghan?
    yea i been busy here, didnt have a whole lot of time to get on when i first got here.. afghan is alright, every ****ty thing i thought it would be lol.

2010 Silverado Z71

Kyle-USAF-MI/VA

"Fueled by Haters"

TCS front box 7"-9" set at 8.5" | FTS coilovers(blue coil) with resis and FTS shocks with resis| 20" Fuel Off-Road Revolver Rims | 35x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers | Halo Projector Head Lights by Recon- Black | Led Taillights by Recon- Smoked | Dumped Straight pipe | Volant CAI | Ranch Hand Front Bumper | DiabloSport Trinity Programmer | Tow Mirrors with Turn Signal | Cervinis Ram-Air hood | 4.56 USA gears with tru trac locker | Longshot Lighting 6000k 55w low beam and 6000k 35w fogs HIDs | 7" lift leaf spring | Blue TCS traction bars

Future Mods: Long tube headers
    | Custom tune | Cam | Stall Converter

if i put 35's on would i have to do anything else because of the extra tire wait or just stick to what @SurrealOne said

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast