GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 08 silverado 5.3 uses oil help

I am new to the site mabe i can get a little insite for my 08 silverado 5.3 oil use.
    It started useing oil at about 27000 miles.
    i called the dealer and they said they need to do an oil consumtion test and seal the engine and monitor it.
    They also told me they wont do anything unless it uses a quart in 500 miles.
    I tought i would monitor it myself. It uses a quart in EVERY1000 miles i have 38000 miles on it now.
    has anyone had this problem and is this 500 mile thing true?? is there a fix?
    thanks longroof

Quote Originally Posted by longroof View Post
    I am new to the site mabe i can get a little insite for my 08 silverado 5.3 oil use.
    i called the dealer and they said they need to do an oil consumtion test and seal the engine and monitor it.
    I tought i would monitor it myself. It uses a quart in EVERY1000 miles i have 38000 miles on it now.
    thanks longroof
    Here is a G.M. TSB's Regarding Oil Consumption,

GM......#-1-06-01-011F: Information On Engine Consumption Guidelines (Jan. 13 2009)

SUBJECT: Information on Engine Oil Consumption Guidelines

Models: 2009 and Prior......GM Passenger Cars and Gasoline-Powered Light Duty Trucks Under 8500 LB GVW (Including Saturn)
    2009 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
    2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being revised to update the warranty information on vehicles and add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-06-01-011E (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

All engines require oil to lubricate and protect the load bearing and internal moving parts from wear including cylinder walls, pistons and piston rings. When a piston moves down its cylinder, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder wall. During the power stroke, part of this oil layer is consumed in the combustion process. As a result, varying rates of oil consumption are accepted as normal in all engines.

OIL CONSUMPTION,
    The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3200 km (2000 mi).

IMPORTANT: This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-aggressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropriate maintenance schedule, with less than 58,000 km (36,000 mi), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded (for trucks) condition.

IMPORTANT: This rate does not apply to vehicles that are driven in an aggressive manner, at high RPM, high speeds, or in a loaded condition (for trucks). Oil consumption for vehicles driven under these conditions will be more.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Has your concern been resolved? I would recommend working with your local dealer for more assistance. Please keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

thanks longroof
    I would suspect that an engine with 27,000 miles should not use a noticeable amount of oil at 1,000 miles and this is something that should be addressed. Take it into another dealer. Are you using the vehicle for commercial heavy loads?
    Last edited by Steve; 11-02-2011 at 10:02 AM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Quote Originally Posted by GM Customer Service View Post
    Has your concern been resolved? I would recommend working with your local dealer for more assistance. Please keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
    Yes i got it resolved.
    But not the wat i wanted to but it is finally all over.
    I have been a chevy guy all my life and i almost bought a ford.
    I am a new owner of a 2011 HD

Yes i got it resolved.
    But not the wat i wanted to but it is finally all over.
    I have been a chevy guy all my life and i almost bought a ford.
    I am a new owner of a 2011 HD
    And you think that a 2011 won't use excessive oil?

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman View Post
    And you think that a 2011 won't use excessive oil?
    From what i have found the oil usage is from the AFM on the 5.3 in the 1500 silverado.
    And the 2500 hd dosn't have active fuel management garbage.

Do you have anymore info on how the 5.3's with the AMF can have excessive oil usage ( What causes the problem).
    Thanks
    Dave
    2011 Silverado Ext 4X4 Z71 5.3

Yes...rings full of crud and not sealing to the cylinder walls. They stop expanding and moving freely. Thank GM for the wonderful AFM system that causes this when its used a lot (like in lots of highway driving at steady speed in an attempt to use less fuel)