GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 5th wheel towing question

Hi All,
    I've spent a few hours searching through old threads, but can't seem to find the specific details I'm looking for so I thought I'd shout out and see who answers...
    I have just bought a new 5th wheel trailer - 32ft, 11,100lbs dry, 13,900 GVW and am trying to determine the 'best' tow vehicle for it.
    My 1/2 ton Dodge isn't gonna cut it, so I am trying to decide between a 3/4 to on 1 ton Chev due to the higher towing capcities.
    We won't tow more than once or twice a year as the unit will be set up permanently at a campground near home, but I want to be able to back up, hook up and go when I want to.
    I've found a great used 2008 2500HD with the 6L. It's a crew cab, short box, 4x4 - bone stock, with the tow package - VIN #GCHK23KX8F201807.
    Questions - is this enough truck to handle this trailer on an 'occasional' tow? What rear end does this have- 4.10? in addition to adding a CAI and opening up the exhaust, are there any other mods to do - airbags?(The pin weight on the trailer is 2100lbs).
    Do I need the one ton for safety? Do I need the DMax for power?
    I just looked up the GCWR for this truck and it's 16000lbs.
    If I deduct the curb weight of the truck - 5983lbs, I'm left with a 'max' trailer weight of 10,017lbs...even the 3500 can't tow my trailer as it has the same GCWR...how do I deal with this seemingly impossible situation???

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by chefmikey; 02-08-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Well I have a 2002 silverado 1500 HD and we tow a 32' 5th wheel and it has a 1,500 pin weight. I know yours weighs more the truck has the 6.0 365 and has 3:73 rear gears and it does fine but the hills that are long and strung out it pulls me down pretty bad.If as far as weight on the truck i think you should be fine. If you can afford it i'd buy a dmax i wouldn't even fool with gas i think you will be a lot happier with a diesel even though you are only towing here and there. Once the new 6.6 is deleted and chipped you can look up in the range of 24-28mpg. Friend of mine has his deleted and chipped and he averages about 27.(not sure when towing). I think the gear ratio is in the glove box, it has a sticker that has numbers and letters your looking for the 'G' one; and it will be like G14 or so on;not sure what your numbers will be and if it still applies in the new year models. Hope this helps in in some way not sure if it will.
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

i agree with MTM...i had a 30' 5er that i pulled with my 1500HD...same gearing ratio...i think the 2500HD you want to look at would be the one with a 4.10 rear with the 6L motor which has an 18,500 GCWR...or look at a DMax...which has a 22,000 GCWR...personally, i think you have enough truck to pull that trailer...be sure to have the brake controller installed...pulling is one thing...you want to be able to stop as well...good luck...let us know what you choose...later
    Mike - SoCal

07 Sierra 1500HD
    Ultra Mammoth Wheels 17x8
    Nitto Terra Grapplers - 305/70/17
    Line-X Bedliner and Wheel Wells
    NFab Nerf bars
    CST 4" Spindle lift

08 Hybrid Tahoe - wifey's ride
    McGaughy's 2/3 drop kit
    22x9.5 Tyfun Wheels
    Nexen Roadians 285/45/22

Go diesel if you can then get an engine brake besides the brake controller. you will be very very happy
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

The dmax and the power stroke most come factory with a engine brake and brake controller factory
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Good information. I know Dodge now has it as an option and can be installed on previous Cummins engines. Kinda wonder why Cummins didnt tell Dodge sooner as cummins has been using for many many years
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 ext cab.4x4
    72 Monte Carlo 350-415 hp- sold (June 2011) to pay medical bills
    79 Impala 350 4bbl 375 hp- sold (June 2011)to pay medical bills
    oldfart2413@gmail.com

"If He asks you to go a mile go two"

I would suggest Diesel. I've pulled out 30.5 ft 5th wheel with my dad's 2006 duramax 2500hd. It pulls really nicely and there's no lack in power.
    I would be equally concerned with stopping as much as towing, a smaller truck will be harder to stop and the trailer will push you around.
    Is is a far tow to the campground? Duramax diesel would be the optimal decision in my opinion (as this is a GM forum).
    All depends on how much you are willing to spend that's all.

Thanks all for the input. I think we're going to hold off for now buying a new truck, but when the time comes I think I'll go with the 6L with a 4.10 rear.
    The much higher maintenance costs of the diesel as a daily driver outweigh the power benefits for the once or twice a year we may tow.
    I know the 6L has the poop to haul the trailer and am willing to pay the fuel bill for that. As far as stopping, the trailer has double axles with electric brakes so I'm not concerned with 'getting pushed around' by the trailer.

Again, thanks for the thoughts!