GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Which coil is best?

I'm going to be overhauling my ignition system on my 1991 Suburban, and I'm not sure what coil I should go with. Of course I want the hottest coil that will give me the best spark and I'm leaning towards MSD, but even in the MSD line, I'm not 100% sure which is the better line. Here's the 2 coils I'm looking at currently: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8226/ and http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-5526/ . Using a "you get what you pay for" methodology, I'd say the Blaster coil is better, but I'm not sure.

I'm just looking for the coil that will throw the hottest spark with the longest spark plug gap I can muster. I'm open to suggestions for all brands, but it must be a drop-in, IE no MSD 6AL boxes or the like. An ignition box may come in down the road, but definitely not now. Any suggestions/opinions?
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

@Crawddady, so my experience with ignition coils, wires and plugs is... when I used what I thought was higher end after market, always seemed to let me down. I will always go OEM.

Now it's been a long time since I had to do my own ignition work and if I need some for my 2000 Impala it will probably be OEM. Just My humble opinion, and I'm sure there are some real good after market stuff ...
    Finally a signature and Avatar! I also posted some pics in the Gallery.
    2011 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Z71 6Liter.
    2011 Outback Travel Trailer 260FL
    So Happy to not be on the edge of GVWR Over Load!!

Either one you want. MSD is good stuff. Ive had tons of items from them over the years and only had a few go bad... some of which they covered and fixed/replaced.
    07 ECSB Z71 LT 5.3
    04 RCSB Regency 4.8
    95 ECLB 4x4 6.5TD
    92 Sonoma GT 4.3
    76 RCSB C10 454

The main reason I'm upgrading the coil is so I can widen up the plug gap and advance the timing to get more power and fuel mileage out of it. I'm basically mirroring what the Bronco community calls the "sixlitre timing bump" as seen here: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=63592