GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default '90 accessory won't work?

The key won't turn back, so I have to put it foward and drain my battery even more. What's up with this?

It seems to be a fiarly common problem in Chevy steering columns from say, 88 to 91 at the least. I had the exact same issue in my 91 suburban before I replaced the sterring column, and by association, the ignition cylinder and such. My best friend's 88 S-10 blazer had the same issue. I'm not 100% sure where the problem lies, but it almost seems like the rods going down the column to the ignition switch bind up or something. It's quite annoying. Luckily, when I replaced my steering column, the accessory position worked in the new column. Hit or miss I guess. If you find a solution, I wanna know though
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

How worn is your key? was the lock ever replaced? goto a lock smith and get a key cut to code not a copy of your key and see if that makes it work. do you have a factory key for the lock you can try it but not a copy of a key....this is a copy of a worn key and it gets worse on each copy....mike
    Michael Collins
    1993 4X4 Suburban
    many other toys as well

I figured that was the case. The dumbass I bought the truck from had two sets of the most worn keys I've ever seen. Should I just replace the locks or will new keys be adequate?

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by trenchwarfare View Post
    I figured that was the case. The dumbass I bought the truck from had two sets of the most worn keys I've ever seen. Should I just replace the locks or will new keys be adequate?
    New keys will be fine, and less expensive as well.

Makes me wonder. My accessory position has never worked on my 93. I'll let you know what I find out.
    There is no way to happiness....happiness is the way.:yipi:
    http://kx6ijq.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pcOFVNH4ix1hjyGUVyXK5LRfef7qSeWzlZDorpQhIEfkZ2ZA  _vXMYypuKMJFw671uF2ZPhjez_j-atRmcjM2zQKpQi1JSsB75/burb1.JPG
    High Desert SoCal
    93 K1500 burb (personal) 350 AT 3" Lift 250K+
    02 Honda Civic LX
    Looking for a 1990's Miata for an engine swap

Does this vehicle have a tilt wheel?

I ask because I had a similar problem with our 79 plow truck. The tilt wheel just flopped in the breeze.

My problem was a broken column after years of jumping in the truck holding onto the wheel.

But it can be something as simple as moving the wheel, column up and down while turning the key.

Technology is great, when it Works,
    And one Big Pain in the Ass When it Doesn’t.
    Detroit Iron Rules, All the Rest are Just Toys.
    94 GMC Burban, 5.7L (350), 4X4, Auto
    86 GMC Burban, 350, 2 WD, Auto
    79 GMC pickup plow truck, 400, Full time 4X4, Auto
    86 Pontiac Fiero SE, 2.8L, Auto, only mid engine American car
    See a Pattern yet?

15 year GM assembly line worker.

Quote Originally Posted by 84fiero123 View Post
    Does this vehicle have a tilt wheel?

I ask because I had a similar problem with our 79 plow truck. The tilt wheel just flopped in the breeze.

My problem was a broken column after years of jumping in the truck holding onto the wheel.

But it can be something as simple as moving the wheel, column up and down while turning the key.
    It does have a tilt wheel. I'll have to try that too. How do i find out what key I need to have cut?

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by trenchwarfare View Post
    It does have a tilt wheel. I'll have to try that too. How do i find out what key I need to have cut?
    Drive it to a locksmith's shop. Tell them you lost the keys and you need to have new keys made. Sit back and see how long it takes them to figure it out...

So I'll have to wait to get it legalized? Windshield, inspection, registration, insurance, and a few other things to do before I'll be driving it.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by