GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Jr. Mechanic

Default BullyDog GT Tuner

I have a BullyDog Triple Dog GT tuner for my truck and I had a few questions that maybe you guys could help me out with.

There's a few options that I have but I don't know enough about them to change the settings.

Theres an option to change the timing + or - 2 degrees. I know this has something to do with the ignition possibly, from what I've looked up so far.

The second is to change my shift points for my transmission. I know this is somewhat of a vague question because it's user preference, but I was just seeing what most people would change them to and why.

Any insight is appreciated

Thanks!
    2010 Red Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LT
    Blacked Out
    15% Tint all around
    22" KMC Slide Series Black Chrome Rims
    305/45/22R Nitto Dune Grappler Tires
    ReadyLift Leveling Kit
    K&N CAI
    IPCW Black Halo Projector LED Headlights
    IPCW Black Third brake Light
    IPCW Black LED Taillights
    Street Scene Front Bumper Valance
    Street Scene Black Chrome Grille
    Black Bowties
    Magnaflow Dual Exhaust
    Alpine Touchscreen Headunit
    4 Kicker RS Componet Speakers
    Kicker 12" L7 subwoofer w/ Kicker ZX1500.1 Amplifier

Ive got the bullydog tripledog gt for my 11 silverado and It tells me I can not change the shift points. comes up unavailable. sure would be handy.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Jr. Mechanic

I've never tried to change the shift points simply because I don't know enough and don't want to mess anything up. I don't see why they would give you the option to do so, but have it not work. I'll go into the settings and mess around with it and see what happens. By the way, what setting do you have the tuner set to? moderate or performance?

Im on Moderate, didnt want to pay for the higher octane gas at $4.50 a gallon. It seems that my shift points are to quick. It works great in tow/haul mode but in regular drive it seems to shift into high gear to soon causing poor mpg and down shifting constantly. Ive seen 5th gear at like 35mph and that puts it at about 1100rpms. just way to high of a gear at that speed.

Jr. Mechanic

I had mine set to moderate when I first got i, but switched to performance after a few weeks. The hp gain is quite substantial in my opinion, and in the end i only pay about $10 more per tank than when running 87. Also, have you looked at the acceleration settings? You can change how fast you accelerate which changes how often you down shift. I've had mine on all three settings ( high, medium, and low) but stayed with medium. I just like being able to accelerate quickly and the lowest setting wasn't enough for me. You may want to try messing with this to improve your shift points.

Yeah Im gonna have to look into it more..when I went to the shift point settings in the unit it just came up unavailable. Im not sure why but that was one thing I wanted to try and change a little. I like the tow haul mode but it wont go into overdrive and sometimes while going down a hill and hitting the brakes it shifts down to quick. There is always the manual shift mode but Im not into doing that all the time... gonna look into it more..

Jr. Mechanic

do you know anything about the timing option? I can't find enough info on the internet about it so I don't feel comfortable messing with those settings. you can change it +/- 2. Have you looked at that at all?

Be sure you have the latest version of the software on the GT Tuner. They had some issues with the 6.0/allison combination. You can do it by connecting it to your computer and downloading and running the agent updater.

With the Gasoline engines you do not have as many choices... I just run mine on the Performance and only raised the rev limiter... afraid to mess with the tranny settings. I noticed a big difference with towing my trailer... I went from 8 miles a gal to 11-12 miles a gal and towes it as if it is not back there.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

i wouldnt mess with the timing unless u have a gauge to monitor your truck, and as far as the shift points im shifting at 6200 in my truck....
    2004 gmc sierra ext z71 5.3
    PERFORMANCE...
    KB racing hot pipes 3.5" : 76mm turbo: 4l80e : Circle-d 2b multi disk :Walbro 400 : Racetronix Hotwire kit : TB coolant bypass : Nelson 91 Pcm : Tr 220 Cam : Brian Tooley double springs kit : Ls7 Lifters : Stage 3 heads : Custom Intake Manifold :80lb Injectors : Ported TB : 40k tranny cooler: Plx dm-100 gauge: Auto meter fuel and boost gauge:
    APPEARANCE...
    Custom Speedo : Leveling kit :Smoked led taillights and 3rd break light : Black projectors and fogs with hids : Blacked out grille : 33's on 16's : Clarion flip screen: sound que 12" subs: clerion 6x9's : Memhpis amps: Alpine componet set.
    Future mods... Detriot tru-trac, deviels own stage 2 meth kit, MORE BOOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!