GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Buying New 2012 Truck F250 6.2 Liter Gas vs. Sierra 2500HD 6 Liter Vortec

4x4 F250 XL 4.30 axle vs 4x4 Sierra 2500HD 4.10 Axle looking for advice on which way to go.

From my research it seems the F250 XL packs towing with other nice features in a kind of plain work truck like vehicle which I like well enough and the 2500HD SLE trim is a bit nicer. Not as worried about looks as durability though. Both with 6 speed transmission including heavy duty transmission cooler for both and for some reason the Ford doesn't mention HD Engine Cooler, but Sierra does list it specifically. Perhaps it's automatically included or understood in the Ford, but I could not find an upgrade option for HD engine cooler for the 6.2 liter Ford.

The Ford is $4000 cheaper than the Sierra, and has factory goose/5th wheel and factory running boards. The both look very nice, the Sierra has nicer wheels, but no running boards or gooseneck/fifth wheel so that will make the Sierra cost even more.

I would like to keep the truck for a very long time and will take extremely good care of it. This is a one chance to get it right investment for me and I could squeeze the extra money from somewhere for the Sierra but not sure it is the best choice. The Sierra does include the rear view camera and rear window defrost, but that only accounts for well under $1000 in the GM.

The GM dealer says GMC is quality and Ford is quantity. I am sure Ford is quality too and if quantity or market leverage helps Ford offer lower cost quality items then as hard as I work for money I don't want to waste any.

My brain is fried now from studying specs for weeks and I have narrowed it all down to this and it is time to pull the trigger.

Neither dealer will reduce the price for me. It was like pulling teeth to get either to give me an extra $500 or so toward the deal. Ford's Truck Month isn't helping either and they sure aren't giving me 10 or 13k off of MSRP like their adds say this month. The Ford dealer told me it's like a loss leader ad where it only applies to 1 certain vehicle while quantities last and each dealership only gets 1 of the special vehicles so quantities won't last long. Yipes. Anyway...

Sorry for the long story, but any advice as to which truck would serve me best as a long term investment.

Needless to say, I do have towing needs.

Perhaps the question settles on is the Sierra worth that much more money when Ford seems to be a great truck in wide use. Granted the Ford engine is newer, but I had trouble finding any negative reports on the Ford 6.2 liter gas engine. Likewise I had trouble finding significant negative comments on the GM 6.0 liter Vortec either. (As info, I am not going with diesel, hince the gas engines research)

Can anybody help me? Thanks.

Legend

Blog Entries

I must say that posing a question like this on a "GM" truck forum will probably be very lopsided. I was under the impression that GM stopped producing the 6.0 liter gas Vortec engine in 2010. They have been using the 6.2 liter gas engine since which is what I have in my 2011 Sierra 1500. I would assume that is the same engine they are currently using in the HD trucks at present time. My opinion is the GM is a better truck but then again that is all I have ever owned. Good luck on the purchase.

PS: Welcome to the Club!!!!

(Scott) Myrtle Beach, SC
    January 2012 ROTM WINNER
    2011 GMC Sierra Z71 MAX 6.2 L w/ Trailering Package
    Rough Country, XD Rockstars, Nitto Trail Grapplers, N Fab, Lund Genesis, Putco, Gator Grip,
    Flowmaster 40 series, Diablosport InTune, Banks Ram Air CAI,
    WeatherTech, AVS Aeroskin, Tow Mirrors, Upgradeyourauto.com

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by Red Z71 Max View Post
    I was under the impression that GM stopped producing the 6.0 liter gas Vortec engine in 2010.

My 2012 2500HD is a 6.0L?

I was researching this very thing a few weeks ago...I stepped out of a 2500 Dodge with a Cummins to a 2500HD with the 6.0L. In my research, on the diesel forums, the newest Ford offering was not thought very highly of in terms of durability. I chose the GM because my research indicated it was the better of the three in the gasser offerings.

In all, I think its pick what you like and drive it...they all have their pros/cons, pluses and minuses.

Well, something I have heard my whole life id, you get what you pay for. Take them both for a long ride. Make sure to play with them a little bit. I would but the GM. I don’t think anyone one on this form with tell you to buy the Ford. I could be wrong but doubt it highly.
    Tim Walters (Curky)

Wrangler AT/S 265/70R17 - Trail-FX window vents - Husky fitted splash guards - Silver Star zXe - Leveling kit -

Jr. Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Red Z71 Max View Post
    I must say that posing a question like this on a "GM" truck forum will probably be very lopsided. I was under the impression that GM stopped producing the 6.0 liter gas Vortec engine in 2010. They have been using the 6.2 liter gas engine since which is what I have in my 2011 Sierra 1500. I would assume that is the same engine they are currently using in the HD trucks at present time. My opinion is the GM is a better truck but then again that is all I have ever owned. Good luck on the purchase.

PS: Welcome to the Club!!!!
    The 6.0L is still in production in the 2500 and 3500 series trucks.
    The 6.0L with its iron block is considered to be more dependable (the HD tag) than the all aluminum 6.2L. I'm not saying I agree or disagree.
    I hear rumors that the 6.2L will find its way into 2500 and 3500 series trucks in 2014 and the 6.0L will go bye bye.
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

Hey bud, my company has lots of the new f-250 and f-350 as well as chevy 2500hd and 3500hd(all diesels, all single wheel) and from driving them daily down lease roads to wells, the chevy's are lasting much better. There are crazy vibrations and all sorts of ride quality issues in the fords, even with 12-20k miles on them, whereas the chevy is holding strong and dependable. I know it doesnt help with the engine part of it.. but as far as durability in suspension goes.. GM

"If you're not living life on the edge, You're taking up too much space"

"Truck Norris"
    - 2008 TX Edition Silverado
    - McGaughy's 4/5 Drop Kit
    - Apline Type R 10s & Amp
    - Pioneer 6 Disc Touchscreen Deck
    - Nightmare Breed Motorsports custom tune
    - Custom 3" dual exhaust through x-pipe dumped at axle
    - Airaid CAI
    - Badges and molding removed, roll pan, Truxedo roll-up cover (compliments of GMTC!), 3pc billet grille, factory fogs upgrade
    "Kristine" - 1991 Nissan 240sx
    - Cut to pieces, LS build pending

Jr. Mechanic

Posing this question on whether to buy a Chevrolet or Ford on this kind of forum is like emailing the Vatican for their views on abortion.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Drive both, Which has the smoother ride? Go over a speed Bump with the radio off, Which has a Locker? Will you e driving this truck everyday? You can get the Ford F-250 in a Platum Ed
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

When I first saw the title I was a little surprised that it was asked in a GM forum. My mom's husband is a die hard ford guy. They have a 32' camper that they pull. When he was in the market to buy a truck to haul that monster he ended up buying a Dodge. This was a few years ago but it spoke loudly to the lacking of the Ford. He was looking for a diesel though.
    I would agree with others that say take them both for a test drive. Try to drive them in the same area that way you are comparing apples to apples. And which ever one feels the best to you get that one. Which brand is a personal choice. Good luck and let us know which you bought and why.

I drive a Ford for work and I will not buy a Ford, I would buy a Dodge before I would buy a Ford.
    The company I work for has 300 trucks Ford and Freightliner, they are taking away all of the Ford diesels and replacing them with V10's. I only get 7 mpg with the V10 and it is gutless. Don't buy a Ford! The Chevy will outlast the Ford.
    Ford has a better idea! Drive a GM!

07 GMC Sierra Classic
    07 Honda Accord EX-L

68 Camaro (blown)
    2011 Ford F550 V10
    I don't own this truck, I just drive it!