GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Truck Hard to Start...been ongoing problem..help!

Hi all - I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado LS and am having a problem starting it up. Okay, in all truth, I've been having this problem for about 2 years, and am ready to deal with it.

So, here's the story - each time I get into my truck, I have a hard time starting it up. I turn the key and it cranks and cranks and cranks, but won't start immediately. I've found that if I turn the key to the on position, I can hear the fuel pump running. To effectively start the truck, I turn the key to the on position to let the fuel pump run. I do this 2-3 times before turning the key all the way. This typically makes it start up right away. Only if I let the fuel pump run 2-3 times though.

I feel like I'm not getting enough fuel pressure into my lines...could this be it? How can I get my truck to turn over on the first turn of the key? Any help/suggestions/anticipated service costs would be appreciated.

Also, I'm no mechanic, but am relatively handy. If I need to change something myself, I can probably do it if it's not too technical. What should I do about this?

Check your fuel pressure regulater...there is a vacume line on it.I think you pull the vacume line off while it is running and if there is gas in there it is bad.If you don't know where it is I can post a pic for you.

03 Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab Z-71
    79 AMC Spirit GT
    77 Olds cutlass supreme

Thanks for the reply Z-71. I changed out the fuel filter today - no luck there. Also, I let my truck run for a minute then pulled the vacuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator. Looked fine - no sign of gas leaking in there. I'm continuing to troubleshoot. Any other suggestions??

Well my next thought was to change your filter which you did.My only other idea is to check your fuel pressure...check and see what it is at when you first turn your key on,then check what it is at running,and then shut the engine off and see if it holds a reasonable pressure.I can't remember what the correct pressures are supposed to be but maybe someone else will jump in with that info.My thought is you have an injector leaking.If you take it to a shop I can't imagine they would charge much to check your pressure.Let me know what you find out.

Well, ended up being the fuel pump from what the mechanic told me. Thanks for your replies.

Makes sense. What happens is your pump has a check valve in it that prevents gas from draining back into the tank when the pump is off. When this check valve goes bad, then the initial 2-3 seconds is not long enough to build up enough pressure for the car to run. Cycling the key runs the pump longer and allows pressure to build up and it can then start.

Glad that it is fixed back up.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World