GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default '92 K2500 front to rear wheel offset

I've noticed the front and rear wheels on my 1992 K2500 are in offset paths of each other. Been told Chevy did this from the factory. How can I fix this? Buy different width wheels or use 2" wheel spacers? Thanks for the help!

Virtually ALL standard cars and light trucks are set up that way. If the rear was not narrower than the front, your steering would be squirrelly. DO NOT mess with it.

I know most vehicles these days have a difference but my truck looks a little off, like 2-3" difference. I've never seen any like mine, any other truck I've seen seems to at least appear to be on the same plain, going to post a pic this afternoon to show how far off it is, this can't be normal.

I have a 99 silverado K2500 4wd and mine was the same the front stuck out 2-3'' more than the back. I put 2'' wheel spacers on the back and front and rear are almost exact. i love the look when they are all stuck out the same and I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2622.jpg  
    2000 Chevy Silverado 4WD Classic
    2'' lift Torsion Keys and air shocks
    33/12.50 Hankook Dynapro M/T
    3 1/2'' down pipe back 6" Tip
    Dodge Towing Mirrors
    Smoked Tails, Cab Lights, and Side Marker Lights
    1% Rear and Side Window, 20% Front Tint
    American Racing Wheels/ With a custom black paint
    Cold Air Intake
    Edge Performance Chip
    Custom Audio System
    LED Tails
    Black background headlights and parking lights

Quote Originally Posted by LouEvil View Post
    I know most vehicles these days have a difference but my truck looks a little off, like 2-3" difference. I've never seen any like mine, any other truck I've seen seems to at least appear to be on the same plain, going to post a pic this afternoon to show how far off it is, this can't be normal.
    It is normal. For most vehicles they only appear to be on the same plane because the body tapers pretty much an equal amount. If you're in doubt, measure some. Ask a dually owner owner how nasty those things can be on curvey wet roads with no load in back. Have you ever wondered why a dually has those bulging front hubs? It's to counteract the effect of the wider rear track, the dually front hub is acually longer than the non dually front hub, so it moves the point of enertia further out. With those bulging hubs they are almost as stable as a normal pick-up truck, but not quite.

Now, on my '99 Suburban, the body does taper but it appears to be roughly 2" per side less of a taper than the difference between the front and rear track width. This is probably due to the Sub being based on the pick-up truck platform. I am running 20x9 Eagle Alloy wheels w/ 285/50/20 tires and I have 2 1/2" well flares on front and back. The front flares do not completely cover the tires at the front side of the wheel wells by at least 1", but the rear flares stick out 1 1/2" further than the rear tires all the way around.

Once again, there is a very good engineering reason the rear track is narrower than the front. If the rear track is as wide or wider than the front, it will induce oversteer MUCH MUCH earlier than you want it to in a turn. I saw an episode of Top Gear (original british) in which they drove a three wheeled car around London. The single wheel was in front. The car actually rolled over on its side to the outside of the turn in 20 mph intersection turns almost every time. Now that is severe oversteer. There have been other 3 wheel cars, Morgan is a prime example, but they all had the single wheel in back so it would be stable. Of course, you can tip a 3 wheeled Morgan over while going backwards.

The wider front track absorbs a great amount of weight transfer toward the outside front wheel in a turn thus preventing the rear end from coming around on you when you really would not like it to do so.

Of course you will see a whole bunch of hotrods running around with humongous extremely wide rear tires and bike tires in front. What you won't see is anybody driving them hard on a curvey road. Even a AA/Fuel dragster will run a front axle nearly 3 feet wider than the rear axle and they don't even go around turns at speed.

You can do what you want to the truck to get it to look right, but just carry a document with your next of kin contact info on it, and be aware that to someone who understands the functional dynamics of running hard in the twisty parts, it will look all wrong.
    Last edited by Dana W; 02-20-2012 at 03:04 PM.

MTM that is a beautiful truck!!!
    Dana thanks for the in depth explanation from the eyes of an engineer. Believe me when I tell you I'm no dummy. I have a 300hp fwd rice burner for when I want to carve corners, (on a sanctioned track) so I understand oversteer understeer and the science behind it. Would look kinda dumb rolling my 92k2500 8lug reg cab on 33's through some back road twisty's to the point that under or over steer would come into play. I just didn't want my truck lookin goofy while hauling my car to the track at a whopping 65mph, or my acasional off-road trail rides.

Any pics of your truck?

Not yet, not much to look at, it's my first 4x4. But not my first Silverado. I believe this is #6. It's Bone stock with Mastercraft 305/75/16 with a rattle can matte black paint job, was a farm truck for the past 12yrs, but it's an 8lug 3/4ton with a 350ci and only had 135k on it when I got it a few months ago. So figured it would be a great platform to start with. I'm new to the site, pics coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LouEvil View Post
    MTM that is a beautiful truck!!!
    Dana thanks for the in depth explanation from the eyes of an engineer. Believe me when I tell you I'm no dummy. I have a 300hp fwd rice burner for when I want to carve corners, (on a sanctioned track) so I understand oversteer understeer and the science behind it. Would look kinda dumb rolling my 92k2500 8lug reg cab on 33's through some back road twisty's to the point that under or over steer would come into play. I just didn't want my truck lookin goofy while hauling my car to the track at a whopping 65mph, or my acasional off-road trail rides.
    Woah, I'm no engineer. Sounds like you would get by OK. It's not like widening the rear track will just flat kill anybody that can drive. It's just information for those of us who may be less informed and less practiced. Making changes to a vehicle's steering, suspension geometry, brakes, and weight distribution takes careful consideration, and an understanding of what to expect in drivability. There are poeple who would wreck when confronted with any oversteer condition, not to mention if it came on a little sooner because of some bitchin' cool wheels.

I actually agree with you. I prefer my tires huge, beefy, tall and wide. And I don't like them tucked up under my truck's butt.

Oh no that's a good base to start with they are great trucks. Can't wait to see the finished product.

And Dana W thanks for the info I did notice mine was more sensitive when i did the spacers but it was already walked a little bit with the mud tires but when you always drive with mud tire you get used to it.....but very good info for those who do not know much about how all that works