GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default What brand u-joint you use for 2001 suburban drive shaft?

My first post. I have a 2001 Suburban with 140k miles bought new. So far, it has been a very good one. I tow a 6 x 10 enclosed trailer with no issues until lately my burb whole chassis will vibrate when I reach 68-70 mph. I drove the rear wheels up on a ramp and checked the driveshaft with the transmission in neutral. I found a bad front universal joint and the one close to the diff is good. I feel I can tackle this job and it looks really easy to drop the driveshaft.
    Question. Will a u-joint from car quest be ok or do I have to get the factory joint which is about $90 a piece?
    Thanks.

The last AC Delco u-joint I bought was a total piece of @*#", the grease seals were junk and the overall quality of the casting was poor. The best u-joints I have found are Spicer u-joints. They aren't the cheapest, but less then what you'll pay at a dealer and the quality is worth it.

97 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 5.7L
    78 GMC High Sierra K1500
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go thru life.

Thanks for the reply.

I was told by the carquest guy the same thing about Spicer u-joints. He did not have it so I opted for their store brand which ran me $40 for both. I marked the yoke assembly with spray paint (so I can put it back the same way), dropped the driveshaft which I found very easy and very light one-piece aluminum tube. Armed with just a 10-inch c-clamp and 27mm sovket, I was able to push out the old joints and push in the new ones. A 1.5 hour job. Drives smooth like new again. Now, transmission flush next.

i've got an 03 with 190,000 on it. I've had it fr the last 50,000 miles and has the same vibration issues. I asked them to check the u-joints when I had them redo the gas line this winter. they said they were fine, but I still think I'd feel better if I changed the you joints. I'm glad to see it wasn't a bad job, I've had joints in the past that I've done with my dad that were a real pain.
    89 chevy stepside off road
    03 suburban Z71
    03 Yukon SLT